When will Ableton get an integrated step sequencer???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kidquatro

When will Ableton get an integrated step sequencer???

Post by kidquatro » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 am

Hello everyone,

I guess this is kind of like a wishlist from my side but how amazing would it be if Ableton got a step sequencer?

I just switched from FL Studio to Ableton Live and I really love (almost) everything about this DAW. The only thing I think it misses is a step sequencer or something like that. Not a step sequencer that FL Studio has but more along the ways of Logic where you can choose to either create a midi pattern or a step sequencer pattern when you are using an instrument.

I mean, how amazing would it be if Ableton got that? I think many producers would switch to Ableton if that sort of update comes in the future.

I know drum rack exists in Ableton but it simply ain't the same thing.

If there was an option to choose between a piano roll or step sequencer when you make a midi pattern that would simply be amazing.

What are your thoughts on this? (;

MattP

Re: When will Ableton get an integrated step sequencer???

Post by MattP » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:04 am

kidquatro wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 am
Hello everyone,

I guess this is kind of like a wishlist from my side but how amazing would it be if Ableton got a step sequencer?

I just switched from FL Studio to Ableton Live and I really love (almost) everything about this DAW. The only thing I think it misses is a step sequencer or something like that. Not a step sequencer that FL Studio has but more along the ways of Logic where you can choose to either create a midi pattern or a step sequencer pattern when you are using an instrument.

I mean, how amazing would it be if Ableton got that? I think many producers would switch to Ableton if that sort of update comes in the future.

If there was an option to choose between a piano roll or step sequencer when you make a midi pattern that would simply be amazing.

FWIW the step sequencer in the Push 2 is really good. Not as advanced as a dedicated hardware step sequencer but with drums at least it’s pretty powerful and easy to use, with MPC style Beat Repeat, multi velocity levels for each instrument and patterns up to 4 bars long. Not an answer to your question as far as Live itself is concerned but may explain why (AFAIK) there isn’t a step sequencer within Live itself… Ableton leave that to the Push2. There may be a M4L device that does the job too.

jlgrimes

Re: When will Ableton get an integrated step sequencer???

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:21 pm

kidquatro wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 am
Hello everyone,

M4l has quite a few (although I rarely use them).

That said Ableton's piano Roll is pretty much a step sequencer already. It has a wide variety or grid resolutions, step write mode, scales, note probability, velocity randomization, clip envelopes, m4l editing.