Request for Assistance: Solo / Cue Functionality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
otalgia99

Request for Assistance: Solo / Cue Functionality

Post by otalgia99 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:33 pm

Hello everyone

My question regards CUE and the routing of audio, which might be answered simply by clarifying my understanding of how this works.

In order for CUE to work correctly, must I also MUTE the track to be CUE'd? That doesn't seem quite right to me, but perhaps that's how it works.

If also muting the track to be CUE'd as a separate step should not be necessary, then I'm reasonably confident that part of the trouble may lie in how I've got my version of Live's Output Config organized, and its relationship to my audio interface.

If that is indeed the case, I appreciate that this brings my problem into a rather "personalized" realm making it difficult for others to diagnose, but I've checked documentation for all the impacted components and I find myself at something of a loss.

SYSTEM CONFIG:

- As noted, I'm using a MOTU MicroBook IIc audio interface.
- LIVE is configured to output its main mix signal to MicroBook IIc outs 1 & 2; and its headphone signal to MicroBook IIc outs 7 & 8.
- This allows me to select either SOLO or CUE modes on Live's main output strip.
- In Live's AUDIO pref's, no other outputs (either mono or stereo) are currently activated -- only 1-2 and 7-8.
- Headphones are plugged into the MicroBook IIc's headphone 1/4" jack.

PROBLEMATIC RESULT

- In SOLO mode, clicking SOLO does, indeed, solo both in speakers and in headphones.

- In CUE mode however, clicking the HEADPHONE icon doesn't by itself allow me to preview sounds in the headphones only -- it routes the signal I wish to preview into the MAIN OUT mix as well as into headphones.

- However, if I Mute the track entirely and then engage CUE, the signal to be previewed can be routed into the headphones only.

- This provides the result I want, but the need for 2 steps (MUTE TRACK + SELECT CUE) isn't the functionality I anticipated -- I would expect the CUE button alone to both take the track out of the mains, and route signal only to the headphones.

- Is also muting a track the necessary step to take in order to derive a Cue signal? (As far as I've seen LIVE manual doesn't specifically say so.)

- If so -- is the idea to vary EVERY track to CUE, so that all I need to do is MUTE a channel I wish to preview?

Thanks for reading & considering!

O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite