How to minimising resource use in a project

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonel

How to minimising resource use in a project

Post by jonel » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:49 pm

Within my project I have a wide range of clips and instruments garnered together in preparation for creating an arrangement. There are audio clips, midi clips,, Ableton devices, Kontakt instruments etc. Only some of these resources will end up being used.
The problem is that my CPU level is going through the roof, with all the related audio dropouts etc, even with the tracks disabled. I thought that disabling the track completely would release the resources that they use.
How can I conveniently ignore these items until they are need please?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: How to minimising resource use in a project

Post by [jur] » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:21 am

"Disabling" i.e muting a track doesn't bypass its processing.
Using Live devices as much as possible is the best way to minimise CPU use.
Depending on your OS, Live might bypass 3rd party plugins CPU use when no sound is coming out of them, but you can also bypass them manually by automating their on/off switch.
Ableton Forum Moderator

jonel

Re: How to minimising resource use in a project

Post by jonel » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:36 am

Thank you very much for your reply, but your suggestion does not address the problem I have. I find that the way I manage it best is to have only the tracks that are being directly worked on as unfrozen. This keeps the CPU usage to a minimum. When I am complete I bounce a copy of the project to remove the midi devices. It's bit awkward but it works.