Newbie Question - DrumRack

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrriot

Newbie Question - DrumRack

Post by mrriot » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:43 pm

Hi Guys

i have a total newbie question which i can't find a answer to it.

when i use one of the default drum racks in ableton and want to play them with my keyboard or launchkey mini mk3, i always have to change the octave or use the midi pitch effect to do so. i understand that its related to the key, but there has to be a solution to start with the 16 drumpads which are actually loaded with samples and not always with an empty one and workaround to it with midi pitch effect...

it would be so nice if anyone could help me out here!

regards
riot

otalgia99

Re: Newbie Question - DrumRack

Post by otalgia99 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:01 pm

Have you tried configuring a drum rack the way you want it, and then saving this as a USER TEMPLATE?

Don't overwrite the default drum rack -- just "make your own go-to."

Then you can drag this "personalized" one into your projects one, rather than the default one.

You could swap out whichever samples later on you wish, when you want to create a rack with different sounds... but retain the note / key relationships. Plus you can set this up with whatever signal processing generally makes sense to you, so you don't have to re-invent that wheel every time either.

Does that work?
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite