SIMPLE WAY TO PAN DIFERENT MIDI SOUNDS FROM ONE CLIP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dannyvocal

SIMPLE WAY TO PAN DIFERENT MIDI SOUNDS FROM ONE CLIP

Post by dannyvocal » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:47 pm

I've noticed there is no way to pan the individual instruments or sounds from a midi clip so that several go to the stereo left, others to the right. I wanted to do this with drums, which are typically panned with other instruments to allow guitar lead or vocal in the middle. I found an easy way to do this. You just copy the drum clip so there are two, one on a different midi track. You can then mute half the drum sounds used in one clip from one track, and the other drum sounds that you did not mute before can now be muted in the second track. Half the instruments from the one sample are now coming out of the left speaker, and the other half from the right speaker (and of course each drum sound has its own volume control). Not a perfect solution since you can't pan each individual instrument to different degrees of panning, but at least you can pan half one way and half the other, which helps! I suppose if you wanted more panning you could copy the midi drum clip to four tracks, play say two sounds on each one, and then pan each to different degrees. I suppose this would take a lot of CPU, but once you're happy you can then turn them into audio or freeze them.

yur2die4

Re: SIMPLE WAY TO PAN DIFERENT MIDI SOUNDS FROM ONE CLIP

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:17 pm

You would usually do the panning in the mixing section of the instrument itself. The midi clip can do some pan-related automation but it’s not quite intended for being a full blown mixer, well a single channel clip isn’t at least.

The panning you’re currently using is the channel pan for the combined channels of the instrument you’re having triggered by the midi clip. So you want to go a little deeper, to the instrument itself.

I’m not sure what instrument you use for the drums, but most drum instruments allow you to pan each element in the drum kit to your own preference.

Greenapples2019

Re: SIMPLE WAY TO PAN DIFERENT MIDI SOUNDS FROM ONE CLIP

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:52 pm

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation but if you're using a drum rack you can set up return chains within the rack and route the individual drums to the return chains. Then you can pan the return chains however you want.