ADG examples instruments sound different when loaded

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
basbe

ADG examples instruments sound different when loaded

Post by basbe » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:15 pm

Hi,

So recently bought Ableton 11, and now downloading and trying all these new packs.

I noticed that the instruments (ADG files) sound way different, mostly more distorted then the original examples.
Do not have this problem with drumracks/samples. All instruments have this, not just a particular one.

What is causing this? Double checked if I have enough headroom, and that also is the case.

Running Ableton 11 on Windows / ASIO 4 All.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

basbe

Re: ADG examples instruments sound different when loaded

Post by basbe » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:21 pm

I think it has something to do with the aftertouch of my midi controller.
When I use the keyboard on the piano roll, it sounds normal I just noticed.

Looking at the midi input, the aftertouch makes the note "stutter", thus somehow distorting the sound.

Weird. I do not know how to fix the aftertouch on my Novation 61SL MKII. Maybe it is just getting old :D
If anyone knows how to overcome this issue, I am still glad to hear it.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:11 pm

Your first post makes me think of simple clipping, with multiple notes overlapping making the audio go over +0 dB.

Dunno about the aftertouch, here I have to press pretty hard with my controllers to hear aftertouch with any instrument or preset.
♥♥♥

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:51 am

Another possibility is the joystick that does pitchbend and mod.

Aftertouch is always going to be recorded. Whether it has an influence might depend on how the sound modulations are set up. It sounds like clearing that automation has cleaned things up, but yeah, for me I get that issue on some controllers if the pitchbend or mod have been collecting dust. My Novation remote sl mkii especially has that dumb joystick.

basbe

Post by basbe » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:21 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and tips. It was not the joystick and not the modulation.

It is fixed now. I do not know the exact steps I took to fix it.
I guess it was some kind of software error.

I went and pressed "automap", and then went in to the "quick menu" via the buttons on the controller itself.
All the leds were flashing, and somehow it got in stable mode again. Now when I press a key, the sound is normal again.
I went into the menu to see if there were options for configuring the aftertouch, but this was already enough.