Transition Live clips to Superior Drummer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Transition Live clips to Superior Drummer

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:30 am

I have a few drum tracks in sets that I created in Live. We like the patterns, but the kits are... meh. In particular is a snare holding us back from sending the track off to the mastering engineer. I've dug through the endless faux names based on meth residuals or whatever in Live's library... I have Superior Drummer 3 and the drums are simply amazing compared to 808 with reverbs and such tweaked to 'Vintage Kit'

I loaded Superior Drummer on a MIDI track and then created Audio tracks for kick, snare, hi-hat, rack tom 1 (2,3), and floor tom 1 (and 2). I then set the Input Chanells on the new Audio tracks in Live to the 'Superior Drummer 3' instrument and used the Mixer in Superior Drummer to edit the outs in its Mixer tab to match the different Audio tracks in Live. The result being an Audio track that, for example, plays/records the single drum kit piece (kick, snare, etc) and allows for fine tuning.

This method works well. I can swap drum sounds and add effects or adjust volume, pan, etc. on each piece of the drum kit. The output track/media is audio, so the effects and tweak-ability options are endless.

So my question(s) is this, what (if any) methods would you recommend to transition the (MIDI) drum patterns?

I want to use the (clip) pattern on my 'Kick-OldSchool' instrument on the 'drums' track in Live, but how do I import/leverage that as quickly as possible, so that I can try the different kicks, snares, etc in Superior Drummer 3?

Hope this makes sense...

fishmonkey

Re: Transition Live clips to Superior Drummer

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 am

i don't use Superior Drummer (still patiently waiting for M1 support for BFD3) however i'm guessing that you have 2 main options:

1. setup the MIDI mapping in SD3 so that the notes in Live trigger the desired kit pieces in SD3 and redirect the MIDI to the plugin in Live

or

2. export the MIDI from Live and import it into SD3's MIDI editor...

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:46 pm

You can use Scale, or a MIDI Effect Rack with Chains (with Pitch or Scale inside) and Key mapping to shift notes up/down, then you can save those as reusable ADG/ADV presets.

Live uses just the General MIDI drum mapping, not any proprietary mapping.
♥♥♥

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:19 am

Thanks! It’s only the one track. So remapping isn’t too unreasonable. In the future I’ll use SD3 to design the pattern, so it will be a non-issue after I get this one dialed in