Expression pedal "default value" envelope problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chats

Expression pedal "default value" envelope problem

Post by Chats » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:07 pm

Hi there,

I'm using an M-Audio Expression pedal plugged into my Novation Summit and recording midi data into midi clips in Ableton; everything is working great except that when I record, the MIDI Ctrl | 11: Expression Controller envelope seems to have a "default" value of 127 (instead of 0 like many other envelopes), and as soon as I start to move the expression pedal at all it stores an initial breakpoint/keyframe at value 127, then suddenly goes to whatever value the pedal is at; in my case 0, and then records the values in real time as I push the pedal down further.
All of my patches require the expression pedal to be at 0 (heel down) to have no effect, then I want to push down on the pedal to increase the effect.
Is there a way to change the "default" value of the MIDI Ctrl | 11: Expression Controller envelope to 0, or better yet; for Ableton NOT to put an initial breakpoint/keyframe at value 127 when I start moving the pedal while recording?
Everytime I record a new clip it completely changes the patch as soon as I touch the pedal at all, because as far as the Summit is concerned, the value of the Expression pedal suddenly goes from 0 to 127, then back down to 0 and up as I keep moving the pedal.

Apologies if I didn't explain this very well, I'm still learning Ableton and it's a great software, but surely there is a way to tell Ableton not to set that initial breakpoint at the arbitrary value of 127?
Other envelopes such as MIDI Ctrl | 2: Breath Controller set the default breakpoint to 0, not 127.
Why the difference?

Thanks for any help :)

Chats

Re: Expression pedal "default value" envelope problem

Post by Chats » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:42 am

Here is an example screenshot of what I am referring to:

When recording MIDI, as soon as I touch the expression pedal, it inserts an initial breakpoint at value 127, even though the pedal is fully heel-down (position 0) when I start moving it.
Therefore the synth suddenly get's a message sent to it at the beginning of the clip (and while recording and first moving the pedal) that the expression pedal is at full toe-down position (127), when it isn't.