NEWBIE issue: "Note Editor" Midi Loop/Overdub Playback Start-End Times Different Than In Track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
popp1234

NEWBIE issue: "Note Editor" Midi Loop/Overdub Playback Start-End Times Different Than In Track

Post by popp1234 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum, so I hope I am posting this in the appropriate discussion area. If not, please move to the correct area. I have conducted a search for my issue, but no success as of yet. I am trying to learn Ableton Live 11 Suite (version 11.2.6) from scratch. I have been using Logic Pro X for years, but decided to give Live 11 a try. The thing I can’t seem to wrap my head around is midi loop recording/overdub in the Arrangement View. Here is my issue:

I set up a midi track to record a 4-bar loop (bars 1-4), with “overdub” (the “+” icon) function enabled. I record 2 parts, kick and then snare (during 2 passes), while looping bar 1-4. I stop recording, everything looks fine. Both parts that I recorded are visible and playing back within the 4-bar loop. However. when viewed in the “Midi Note Editor”, I see the individual recorded notes in the clip, but I see a clip start point of “5” and end point of “9”. Furthermore, the clip in the “Midi Note Editor” shows only the kick parts in bars 1-4 and the snare parts added in bars 5-9. When I press play, the clip in the “Midi Note Editor” plays from bar 5-9, while the clip in the track plays from bars 1-4 as recorded.

It seems that the clip’s playback start point (bar 5) in the “Midi Note Editor” begins the bar AFTER the end point of the first loop pass, bar 4 in the track, and keeps recording from that point without looping. In other words, if I record 6 passes of a 4-bar loop, the clip will show 24 bars being recorded without looping, with whatever additional parts being added during each loop pass.

Is this normal? I feel like I am totally missing something simple, conceptually, here. I have yet to find an explanation for this behavior (concept) in the owner’s manual or watching videos. Any explanation or guidance anyone has for me is much appreciated.

System:
Computer: 2021 16 in Macbook Pro: M1 Pro (silicon), 1TB SSD, 16GB Unified RAM, Mac OS Ventura (version 13.0.1)

Audio Interface: Universal Audio Apollo Twin MII SOLO (thunderbolt 2) and Universal Audio UAD-2 Satellite USB OCTO Core (thunderbolt 3).
Midi Controller: Novation Launchkey 61 MK3
Ableton Live 11 Suite (version 11.2.6)

I have insured I have the latest version of software, firmware, etc. throughout my system.