Using softsynths in a modular way

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EQUATORIAL

Using softsynths in a modular way

Post by EQUATORIAL » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:10 am

Hi there Abletonians

Is it possible to use two or more softsynths in a modular way? For instance, can you route the signal of a cutoff filter of Sylenth to an LFO of Serum to the ADSR of Operator back to the resonance of Sylenth? Basically, making your softsynths into a kind of VCV rack.

Thanks

Equatorial

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Using softsynths in a modular way

Post by [jur] » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:35 am

Nope.
But did you look at OSCiLLOT?
Ableton Forum Moderator

EQUATORIAL

Post by EQUATORIAL » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:43 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. Yeah I've got Oscillot, but I'm not sure it can do what I'm asking for. It would be great if someone develops a VST that can make different softsynths interact with each other, so that you could create Supersynths.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:22 pm

EQUATORIAL wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:10 am
Hi there Abletonians

Is it possible to use two or more softsynths in a modular way? For instance, can you route the signal of a cutoff filter of Sylenth to an LFO of Serum to the ADSR of Operator back to the resonance of Sylenth? Basically, making your softsynths into a kind of VCV rack.

Thanks

Equatorial
Would be pretty hard to do as each synth would use their own scaling, conversion systems which would produce very unpredictable (and probably ear damaging results). Everybody would need to speak the same language.

That said interesting concept. I can see a manufacturer like NI or Arturia developing their own synths to talk to each other one day.

That said what is very possible today is using external modulators to control VSTS using M4L. Other DAWS such as Bitwig, and Reaper have different (better or worse) implementations of this as well. Reason REs have CV control capabilities (depending on RE).

That said I can see this developing further with newer Plugin standards, midi standards and such.

EQUATORIAL

Post by EQUATORIAL » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 pm

Great thanks so much for your reply. Indeed one day synths could speak the same language. 😊