Will Windows ever get the same UI performance as Mac?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
B0nd

Will Windows ever get the same UI performance as Mac?

Post by B0nd » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Hey Folks,

I use Live 11.2 on both my Mac & PC. Since the amazing new metal API update for Live 11.2 on Mac, the UI rendering performance is now much smoother (even on large, complex projects) compared to how it is on the Windows system.

Are there any tweaks I can do on my Windows system to get Ableton to render just as smoothly as it does on Mac? I'm running Windows 11 22H2, with the latest NVIDIA Studio driver, and have set Ableton to high performance in my system and graphics settings.

AbletonMASCHINE

Re: Will Windows ever get the same UI performance as Mac?

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:34 pm

When I read that
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=245992&sid=b63e4312 ... 8d1e8b7787

then I don't want a situation like on Mac and I don't want to be afraid of every iOS update.

BTW: I have an old nvidia 2080 TI and I have no issues with its rendering performance on Live.

Sau6on

Post by Sau6on » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:26 am

B0nd wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:59 pm
Hey Folks,

I use Live 11.2 on both my Mac & PC. Since the amazing new metal API update for Live 11.2 on Mac, the UI rendering performance is now much smoother (even on large, complex projects) compared to how it is on the Windows system.

Are there any tweaks I can do on my Windows system to get Ableton to render just as smoothly as it does on Mac? I'm running Windows 11 22H2, with the latest NVIDIA Studio driver, and have set Ableton to high performance in my system and graphics settings.
It looks like it can't be done.

Not only does Ableton's code falls into the "spaghetti" code category with many many dependency issues, not only does the Live PC accelerated rendering pipeline is very poorly done.... But it also looks like there are many, maaaany other culprits to these PC UI issues and no-one, INCLUDING ableton, is willing to invest time and make substantial moves (and not just come up with another half baked band-aid) in order to definitly FIX these decade-old rampant lingering issues.

See for yourself : https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... i_remains/

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:05 pm

B0nd wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:59 pm
Hey Folks,

I remember having worse issues on an Intel Mac.

That said Live becomes hoggy when projects get large compared to DAWS like Reaper.

best to start freezing and flattening audio. Probably depends alot on system though as Windows machines have a wider variety of components/drivers some good, some great, and others horrible.