de-anchoring samples from the grid

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
piripero

de-anchoring samples from the grid

Post by piripero » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:14 pm

I'm using Live 11.2.6 on apple silicon

let's say I'm mixing a free-tempo arrangement made up of one primary audio track (a single take which plays for the entirety of the project) and a bunch of shorter samples layered over it on different tracks, placed to line up with specific points in the primary track. Since it's tempo-agnostic, the track-tempo was originally left at the default settings, 120bpm 4/4.

Now let's say I have reason to want to change those tempo settings while I'm working, but I *don't* want to change the sonic nature of the track at all. All I want to do is to stretch or shrink the tempo grid in relation to the arrangement, which I want to remain in place.

I can't figure out how to do this. If all the audio clips are unwarped, then changing the tempo doesn't change the timing of each clip individually, but because the clips remain anchored to their original grid position, all of the overlaid samples become completely out of sync with the primary track. If all the audio clips are warped, they'll stay synced with each other but the audio itself will be transformed (not to mention the original problem isn't solved since the audio's relation to the grid is unchanged).

I realize I could generally achieve what I want by consolidating each track into a single unwarped audio clip (with length = to the primary track) and change the tempo from there, but I'm looking for a nondestructive way to achieve the same result.

Am I missing an option? Is there a straightforward workaround? Any help is appreciated.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: de-anchoring samples from the grid

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:06 pm

Yep, this is an annoying situation.
Imo the best and quickest solution is to consolidate the tracks, as you said.
Ableton Forum Moderator