moving from reaper to ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
OldWizzard

moving from reaper to ableton

Post by OldWizzard » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:09 pm

Hi, my name is Etienne, and being aged 70, French (I don't play football), I probably carry a faint flavor of pine-tree. Anyway still happy to roll on.
So, I like Reaper but after having a so and so again issues trying to use a controller with it , I decided to give a try to Ableton and I baught too + Launch XL control, + m-audio keystation + a cheap book "Ableton 9, create, produce, perform", all this supposingly specially adapted to Ableton.
What I would like to learn to do is to play sound file, but being able to stop it with the pedal of my keyboard. I am a lecture sound file transcriber with, strangely, only 2 hands and this business of using a keyboard pedal helped me greatly with Reaper, till the moment the whole thing crashed. As usual.

So, iI apologize asking maybe a difficult question, but maybe it's not so difficult : Ableton 11 LIte has already recognized my 2 controllers.
Anyway, nice to meet new peoples. Thanks

pottering

Re: moving from reaper to ableton

Post by pottering » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:21 pm

Maybe MIDI assigning to an "empty" Scene (the square buttons in empty slots are actually stop buttons), or to the Stop All Clips button will work?

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/session-view/
♥♥♥

OldWizzard

Re: moving from reaper to ableton

Post by OldWizzard » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:26 am

I managed to stop all the clips with the pedal (CC 04) having programm a cc change -apparently 4- in the use of the transport session square. But it's half success because , having successfully stopped it with my foot pedal, I have to start again the playing as usual (manually) with the transport arrow left stop button and it starts from 00.00.000. SO I am back to needing one hand. I suppose the solution would be to affect some "pause "CC to the stop button It would make the deal. It's probably somewhere in the manual, which I am still discovering.

Thanks for your attention, kind of you.