Latency not present in trial version, present in full version

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Max_saunderss

Latency not present in trial version, present in full version

Post by Max_saunderss » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:06 pm

Hey there, I'm well aware that there are a plethora of "how to fix latency" guides on the internet by now, however this is a new issue that I cannot find a fix for anywhere.
for a while now I've been using the trial version of Ableton (longer than you're supposed to, really) but I bought the full version of Suite yesterday; I've used ableton nearly everyday.
But now I'm getting the most heinous latency on both my midi controller and analogue instruments, that wasn't present on the trial version - even though my settings are exactly the same across both versions.

for reference, my computer specs are as follows:
Ryzen 7 5800x GPU
16 GB ram
RTX 3060 GPU
and a few TB of SSD storage

I'm also using the UA apollo twin audio interface

Edit: I'm using the asio 4all 2 driver

Tarekith

Re: Latency not present in trial version, present in full version

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:50 pm

You don’t need to use asio4all if you have a UA interface, they have rock solid drivers so use those.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Max_saunderss

Post by Max_saunderss » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:22 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:50 pm
You don’t need to use asio4all if you have a UA interface, they have rock solid drivers so use those.
Thanks, I was unaware of this - having only recently started using the apollo.
However, the issue is still there. even after changing to UA drivers, the trial version remains latency free, but the full version has very bad lag

Max_saunderss

Post by Max_saunderss » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:41 pm

okay so I have managed to route out the source of the latency, but if anything it's raised more questions than answers.
I'm using an 'AberrantDSP' plugin, called 'Digitalis' and whenever I put it on a track, it causes latency

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:54 pm

First of all: why would you use a plugin like that on every track in a state of the art DAW like Ableton Live Suite?

Can't you use it after recording all tracks and then put it in hte master track inserts?

Correction: you don't put it on every track.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:56 pm

And yes some plugins cause huge amounts of latency. That has to do with how many cycles it takes to do the work......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:02 pm

You might want to use delay compensation to have a workaround for it.

Read about it here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... sation-FAQ
Greetings from Miyaru.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:10 pm

And then this one:

How to reduce audio interface latency
Open Live's Preferences → Audio. The settings you change below will affect the Overall Latency field.

1. Reduce the buffer size
The smaller the buffer size, the lower the latency. There's a trade-off though, in that lower buffer sizes require more CPU power. Therefore you may notice audio dropouts at lower buffer sizes, depending on the overall CPU load of the set. Here's how to reduce the CPU load in Live.

With your PC configuration, go to max 256 samples of buffersize, but I think 128 or 64 is possible!

2. Raise the sample rate
Sample rate refers to the amount of samples which are carried per second. The higher the sample rate, the lower the latency. Higher samples rates however also put additional stress on the CPU.

3. Disable the Audio Input Device
If you're not recording from an external source, then set the Audio Input Device to "No device". This will reduce the overall latency value. Note: It's only possible to select one device as input and output when using the ASIO Driver on Windows.

4. Use ASIO audio drivers on Windows
It's difficult to achieve low buffer sizes when using the default MME/Direct X driver on Windows. Install and use the ASIO driver for your interface. If no native ASIO driver is available for your device use ASIO4ALL instead. Don't - use the supplied driver!!!

5. Use a dedicated audio interface running native drivers
Dedicated audio interfaces usually have native drivers and offer better sound quality than built in soundcards.

6. Don't use Bluetooth devices or cast audio
Streaming audio wirelessly using Bluetooth or WIFI adds much higher latency. We highly recommended using a cabled (USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt) interface instead, or use cabled headphones.

How to reduce device/plug-in latency
1. Freeze and flatten plugins and devices which introduce latency
Tracks containing devices which introduce latency should be frozen and flattened to permanently remove the latency. Delay compensation must be active in the Options menu before you freeze and flatten the track.

2. Reset Track Delays
If you adjust a track delay, then every other track in the set is compensated so that everything plays in time. Freeze and flatten any tracks with active track delays.

3. Close the editor window in Max for Live devices
Max for Live devices introduce additional latency when their editor window is open. Close the editor to remove the additional latency.
Greetings from Miyaru.