Issues opening/saving projects after Monterey upgrade.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jlanpheer

Issues opening/saving projects after Monterey upgrade.

Post by jlanpheer » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:04 am

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Live 11, but i had the same behavior in Live 10 just before the upgrade, so i don't think what i am about to describe is an Ableton version issue.

I am on a Mac and was on Big Sur and did not want to upgrade to Ventura yet, but figured Monterey would be safe by this point. I did a Time Machine backup to an external drive, which is the same physical drive that my backed up Ableton projects are located on (big drive). I am NOT trying to open up anything within the backup itself, my music projects (Logic and Ableton) exist in another folder outside the backup. The upgrade (version 12.6.2) was seamless and afterwards, i went thru the process of testing everything and everything worked fine, till i got to testing Ableton projects.

I started by testing with Ableton 10, and if i choose a Live set via "Open Recent Set", the set did not open, and i got this error: "The file "the/path/to/my/project/on/external/volume" could not be opened." Now, if if physically navigate using Finder to that folder, find the project and choose "Open Live Set", the set DOES in fact open. However, often, samples within the project seem to be offline and if i make changes to the project and attempt to save it, i get the following message: "The folder 'the/same/folder' cannot be created."

After i did the upgrade, i first tested opening/saving Ableton projects with version 10 and that is where i encountered this issue initially. Since 10 and 11 can run side-by-side, i saw no downside to installing version 11 and trying that. I did so and got the same results (after remembering that i need to save a project created in Live 10 as a "new" project). I was unable to convert a Live version 10 project to a new Live 11 project on this drive and i was also unable to create a Live 11 project from scratch and save it to the external drive. If i save to my internal HD, no problem.

I have read some things that suggest that Apple made some changes related to how they handle external drives in Monterey and i followed one suggestion that i found which suggested setting permissions for 'Everyone' on every file (and the drive itself) to 'Read/Write'. I did find that folders did indeed have "Read" (only) permissions on the external drive, and i set EVERYTHING to Read/Write for Everyone. I thought that might fix it, but it has not.

I have not been able to find a single other application on my system that acts this way. My Logic Pro projects also live on this same drive, i can open them, change them and save my work just fine, i can save other kinds of documents to my external drive, etc. The only application that i've run across an issue with is Ableton.

Two possibilities include (1) something that i'm missing related to Ableton and Monterey or (2) the fact that these projects are on the same physical drive as where a Time Machine backup is stored. Don't know why that might be an issue though.....

Has anyone run across this? Any suggestions?
thanks for any pointers/suggestions and cheers!

cids

Re: Issues opening/saving projects after Monterey upgrade.

Post by cids » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:47 am

According to Apple:

Use this storage device only as your Time Machine backup disk, not for storage of other files.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2