Flatten Default Effects (similar to new track default effects chain)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oddeo

Flatten Default Effects (similar to new track default effects chain)

Post by oddeo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:19 pm

Is there any way to set a default effects chain when flattening a track?

In an ideal world, when I flatten a track, it will load the same default effects chain as when I create a new audio track.

Any tips or ideas are welcomed.

Thanks, Neil
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

yur2die4

Re: Flatten Default Effects (similar to new track default effects chain)

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:41 pm

I think this is a tricky one. And it’d be better if it was an option.

The idea of flattening is that you are satisfied with the audio chain’s output. There might be devices in a user’s default audio channel that would color the audio. So when you bake that in, you may or may not want to have your devices reloaded after flattening.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:57 pm

It does make sense to me that Flattening is primarily used to commit to the chain's output. In my workflow, I will commit a tracks audio multiple times. My default audio track loads up my "default channel strip," which is color neutral until I start twisting knobs. It is also integrated with a custom controller I built.

I would love the option to "commit a track's audio often" AND have my "standard shaping toolset" (think how Console 1 works, for those that know) reloaded onto the track for quick tweaks as I move through the phases of production.

If there is no way, I understand, but thought I would see if anyone has special tricks up their sleeves for something like this.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:49 pm

Only thing I can think of is, making a shortcut to that fx chain such that it can be loaded into any channel with a button press. This is doable via a few tools out there (which slip my mind at the moment).

But having the devices loaded into a recently flattened channel would probably require bringing the workflow to the developers’ awareness. As I assume that their logic had assumed that a feature like this would be redundant or unnecessary, so it would likely be a spot where they didn’t intend to put resources into.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:44 am

I totally get that this feature would be for the 20%, not the 80%. Seems like a great fit for Options.txt (hint hint if anyone is reading from the Ableton team) :wink: