MIDI editor Velocity Range: "Disk", dropped notes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dylandigits

MIDI editor Velocity Range: "Disk", dropped notes

Post by dylandigits » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:26 pm

I have a drum kit in Drum Rack which I'm trying to get some variation out of, so I'm trying to use the MIDI editor's Notes->Velocity Range feature that was introduced in Live 11.

The kit (Drumdrops Krautrock Kit) has multiple samples per drum, to be triggered according to incoming MIDI velocity.

I can program the velocities in manually, and it works.

I can throw a MIDI Effect (Velocity->Add Some Random) on the entire Drum Rack, and it works.

However, If I select notes in the MIDI editor and set a Velocity Range, the "Disk" indicator in the upper right of the window flashes and it drops many if not most of the notes as it tries to play through them.

Using the velocity range works if I put a _single_ sample into an instance of Sampler and set the Vel->Vol to anything greater than 0%, but multisamples (and samples where velocity triggers a different start point, as in the kits included in the stock Drum Racks) run into Disk flashing and dropped notes.

Is that clear? Am I missing something about how the chance feature works? I reviewed the manual and couldn't find anything that helped. Thanks!

siliconarc

Re: MIDI editor Velocity Range: "Disk", dropped notes

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:37 am

yes, it's been broken for a while but is fixed in the current 11.2.10 beta, should hopefully be released soon.

there's a thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=242609

dylandigits

Re: MIDI editor Velocity Range: "Disk", dropped notes

Post by dylandigits » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:18 pm

Thank you. I hadn’t had a reason to use it before now so I hadn’t realized it was a known issue. Glad to know it’s being worked on. Thanks again.