Tempo Follow w/ Triggers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
guy_pidgeotto

Tempo Follow w/ Triggers

Post by guy_pidgeotto » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:47 am

Hello, most of the examples of the Tempo Follow feature are until using audio input. Is it possible to do this with drum triggers?

My desired path here was snare drum > SPD RT-30HR Drum Trigger > Roland SPD-SX > MacBook > Ableton > PA System. I have all the necessary drivers for the SPD, and Ableton is seeing midi input from the trigger. However, the input I’ve selected is not metering on the Tempo Follower page under preferences. In short, Ableton isn’t registering the trigger in this specific instance. And so the tempo just stays locked at the tempo in the scene.

This seems like something that should be possible. I’m wondering if this feature is only meant for audio input, not midi input. Or if I’m just plain doing something incorrectly.

Thanks so much!

Update: I plugged the triggers into the Audio Input of my SPD instead of the Trigger input, and that got the Tempo Follower to work, but not very well. Also it was passing the kick and snare audio through to my PA, which is a problem I hope can be addressed by looking at the I/O. Just for kicks (pun intended) I tried throwing an SM58 in my kick drum and going in through the Audio Input of my SPD, and that worked a lot better than the triggers. But if I could just have the triggers work as triggers and not as microphones, I think it could work more smoothly and be less fuss for me, the touring musician.

Greenapples2019

Re: Tempo Follow w/ Triggers

Post by Greenapples2019 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:29 am

Hi, do you have a drum rack on the MIDI channel? You could maybe then trigger a sample within Ableton and use this for the tempo follower.