Operator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
D Tezza

Operator

Post by D Tezza » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:51 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm following tutorials online and trying to recreate some sounds but I'm finding that there are big differences between the sounds that I'm making versus the sounds in the tutorial. I looked at some of the comments and I can see that a few people are having similar problems but no one can seem to find the solution.

I've linked the tutorial I'm currently following for reference. To be more specific, when I change the filter frequency, my sound is much duller and almost inaudible though I'm using the same settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75mnUor ... 27sAcademy

Any advice?

Regards,

Jared

Rivanni

Re: Operator

Post by Rivanni » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:06 pm

Are you using Live 10 or 11? The tutorial in in Live 10. Operator's default settings changed in Live 11 (off the top of my head: decay and release of Osc1 are different, the oscillators are velocity-sensitive, LFO rate/amount is different.)
So the start settings in Live 11 are different from the ones shown in the video. It's also possible the default used in the video is a custom one. Or maybe yours is.
Live's 11 Operator has revised filters, however they are very close to the one of Live 10 most of the time.

I did not watch the video, so I don't know if you can see all tabs and thus settings in Operator's interface. If not, it's hard to follow all settings, regardless of the version of Live you are using.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:31 pm

It is probably the Freq<Key setting in the Filter you are missing, in the video it is 0% but Operator defaults to 100%.
♥♥♥

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:56 pm

pottering wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:31 pm
It is probably the Freq<Key setting in the Filter you are missing, in the video it is 0% but Operator defaults to 100%.
Yes, another difference between the Live 10 and 11 default.