Tuning Grand Piano

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gastromush

Tuning Grand Piano

Post by gastromush » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:08 pm

Hello,

I'd like to make experiments by tuning Grand Piano, eventually trying others than equal temperament.
I have Live 11 Standard and when i load Grand Piano, it shows a multisample empty device, through which it seems i can't tune every single note, just groups of them (ff lower, f lower, etc).
Other presets like Grand Piano Equal show any device with a sample at all. Is this all due to the fact i don't own sampler? And if I did, could i tune each single note or would it still be not doable?
i5-6400 2.7 GHz, 16 GB DDR4 2666 mHz
RME BabyFace Pro
M-Audio Axiom 61
Ableton Live 11.3.3 Suite

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Tuning Grand Piano

Post by [jur] » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:08 pm

gastromush wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:08 pm
Is this all due to the fact i don't own sampler?
And if I did, could i tune each single note or would it still be not doable?
- Yes
- Yes
Ableton Forum Moderator

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:08 am

Easier done with the Microtuner device.
♥♥♥

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:17 am

pottering wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:08 am
Easier done with the Microtuner device.
Exactly, but that still requires Live Suite... or a M4L license ;-)
Ableton Forum Moderator

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 pm

There is a workaround. But it’s messy and could use a lot of CPU.

Basically. You would put several instances of the piano inside an instrument rack.

Before each one, use the Scale device such that, you can turn ‘off’ some notes and only let certain notes through.

If there are some notes that have the same amount of offset tuning, then those can share the same ‘instance’.

So how does it work then?

Let’s say you had 12 separate note tunings. Then you’d make 12 chains of piano in the rack. Before each one, put MIDI scale, and for each instance of Scale, only leave one note to pass through. This allows all octaves of that note to pass through, any other notes on each instance, will not trigger the device.

Then you just offset the tunings of specific notes in relation to one another for the instance of the piano associated with whichever note is passing through for Scale.

Personally, it’s fun for me to devise this idea, but various tunings seem like a lot of work in a lot of cases.

Also, personally, I’d recommend getting plugins from third party sources that advertise various tunings as part of their feature set. You’d get a lot quicker and more reliable results with less work. And they probably sound a lot better too in many cases.

allmodcons

Post by allmodcons » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:36 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 pm
And they probably sound a lot better too in many cases.
I think Abletons simple Grand Piano is superb. I have tried(and spent$)on some 3rd party piano plug-ins and each time I A/B them with Grand,I am always amazed how much better the Live Grand is. Customization though,not even close.

gastromush

Post by gastromush » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:15 pm

Hello, thank you for the answers.
In the end I decided to upgrade to Suite so to get Sampler and also benefit from the other instruments included.
i5-6400 2.7 GHz, 16 GB DDR4 2666 mHz
RME BabyFace Pro
M-Audio Axiom 61
Ableton Live 11.3.3 Suite