Plugin Processing/Recording Clips in Arrangement

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MCL

Plugin Processing/Recording Clips in Arrangement

Post by MCL » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:55 am

When you record clips into the arrangement, do the settings you have on the clip copy into the arrangement file itself?

So let's say I've recorded some guitar into two different clips in session view and then I pan one track left and the other right, - if I then record those two clips into arrangement, is the panning captured in the arrangement recording itself? - Or are all settings on the clip ignored and even if I panned a clip hard right, when I then work with the arrangement, if I change my mind I can then pan that track to the left? - I know I can change the panning while arrangement is playing, but I'm wondering if (like in other DAWs) settings, plugins, etc. are captured as you're recording. The interaction of the session view with the arrangement view and recording clips into arrangement is still a bit murky for me.

In the past, I've always used Pro Tools to record live bands and when you put a plugin on a track and record, the recording is of the processed signal. I want to be sure I understand what is happening when I record clips and then record those clips into the arrangement.

If I put a compressor on a clip as I'm recording my vocals, is the clip recording compressed, and is that compression transferred to the arrangement if I then record into the arrangement?

Thanks in advance for responding.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Plugin Processing/Recording Clips in Arrangement

Post by [jur] » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:31 am

This video should help :wink:
Make sure to also check other Learn Live videos.
Also, Live has great built-in tutorials that I highly recommend, you can find them in the Help menu > help window
Ableton Forum Moderator