BT's Laptop crashed on Saturday

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:16 am

FaX-01 wrote: The handling of the crash was pretty unprofessional though.
Seriously the guy earns enough spondulicks from production work.
I had the USB MIDI connection go out at a show, lost ability to play soft synths, and rebooted on an old ass 800mhz powerbook, took all of about 45 seconds to get up again. It's stupid to just quit. My singer told a few sick jokes, and the show was back on, not a major deal. :wink:

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:30 am

He uses live. Doesn't anyone remember this video from last year, winter NAMM? If I am not mistaken it was even posted here on the ableton site in the news or artists secton.

Link is below, but I think they may have taken the video down. When I click into the page I get a "quicktime required - get it here" window. Ofcourse, but I already have quicktime. I run a powerbook.....

Anyway,

He was using Live and a powerbook, and that hand stutter thing.
-----------------------

"BT delivers an engrossing demonstration of Ableton Live, which he’ll be using to execute his “Laptop Symphony” international tour this winter."

http://www.midiman.com/index.php?do=med ... 6eb79495c5

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:57 am

Cheers smutek your out of the dog house on that one dude!

Marcus

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:58 am

i wonder if it crashed cuz he was using live 5? thats not good.
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:09 am

two comments to add:

1. Agreed with the dude who wrote about technical malfunctions having nothing to do with PCs vs. Macs vs. any other hardware. They can all fail given the right circumstances. The fact that BT uses Macs that crash on stage doesn't make it any more or less likely that a Mac will crash while PCs won't.

2. Is that stutter thing necessary anymore with Beat Repeat? :)

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:13 am

thx1138 wrote:Cheers smutek your out of the dog house on that one dude!

Marcus

8)

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:14 am

smutek wrote:
thx1138 wrote:Cheers smutek your out of the dog house on that one dude!

Marcus

8)

Im off to bed its like 5:12 am here in the Uk, night all! 8)

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:16 am

i bet bt is jerkin off to this thread :lol:

inis

Post by inis » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:29 am

smutek wrote:He uses live. Doesn't anyone remember this video from last year, winter NAMM? If I am not mistaken it was even posted here on the ableton site in the news or artists secton.

Link is below, but I think they may have taken the video down. When I click into the page I get a "quicktime required - get it here" window. Ofcourse, but I already have quicktime. I run a powerbook.....

Anyway,

He was using Live and a powerbook, and that hand stutter thing.
-----------------------

"BT delivers an engrossing demonstration of Ableton Live, which he’ll be using to execute his “Laptop Symphony” international tour this winter."

http://www.midiman.com/index.php?do=med ... 6eb79495c5
I think the video you are talking about is still on m-audio's website. I would link it, but im too lazy.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:32 am

starving student wrote:i bet bt is jerkin off to this thread :lol:
and with his other hand, he's practicing his hands-up-in-da-air routine to get his audience as worked up as he is

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:34 am

nebulae wrote:
starving student wrote:i bet bt is jerkin off to this thread :lol:
and with his other hand, he's practicing his hands-up-in-da-air routine to get his audience as worked up as he is

lol, don't give'em any ideas now

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:38 am

how come we dont have famous djs posting on this forum? i would love to talk to armin van buuren and tiesto lol.
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

snoblind

Post by snoblind » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:44 am

I played in taiwan last Saturday night and had similar experience. Luckily, the computer did not froze but the clip/tune I was playing just stopped. I did not hit any keys, only using my trigger finger to play some Reason-rewired synth and Spectrasonics Atmosphere. Emailed Ableton right after the gig and they still could not offer me a satisfactory answer. I am still wondering, but reading this post took a lot of weight off my shoulder.
I cannot fathom why the clip stopped, apart from the heavy vibration on stage, as for Senor Transeau, I bet it must be the computer had enough of processing his NANORHYTHM and decided to teach him a lesson on stage and call it a night. Just my 2c.
Snoblind Sound System
http://www.snoblind.com
http://www.myspace.com/snoblind
Macbook Pro, MOTU Ultralite Mk3, APC, Faderfox, Korg Nano Kontrol/Nanokeys, Ableton Live 8, Max 4 Live, Reason 3, NI Komplete, Arkaos Grand VJ

snoblind

Post by snoblind » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:05 am

I have to add that my partner-in-crime at the gig was using Live 4 and her laptopn (also PC) runs smoothly without a glitch. While my Live 5...just stopped...
Snoblind Sound System
http://www.snoblind.com
http://www.myspace.com/snoblind
Macbook Pro, MOTU Ultralite Mk3, APC, Faderfox, Korg Nano Kontrol/Nanokeys, Ableton Live 8, Max 4 Live, Reason 3, NI Komplete, Arkaos Grand VJ

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:22 am

snoblind wrote:I played in taiwan last Saturday night and had similar experience. Luckily, the computer did not froze but the clip/tune I was playing just stopped. I did not hit any keys, only using my trigger finger to play some Reason-rewired synth and Spectrasonics Atmosphere. Emailed Ableton right after the gig and they still could not offer me a satisfactory answer. I am still wondering, but reading this post took a lot of weight off my shoulder.
I cannot fathom why the clip stopped, apart from the heavy vibration on stage, as for Senor Transeau, I bet it must be the computer had enough of processing his NANORHYTHM and decided to teach him a lesson on stage and call it a night. Just my 2c.

Where did you play in Taiwan@?@?@?!?!?!?!!?!?