sonoma/dothan/banias/turion....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Matrigs

sonoma/dothan/banias/turion....

Post by Matrigs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:25 pm

which one is the best ?? the price seems always the same, but which on of these processors takes the lead when it comes to live/audio sofware ??

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:48 pm

Very probably the latest one...

They are all successive versions of the Pentium M processor. Usually when you buy a laptop the processor won't be identified by it's code name, but rather by a model number.

Matrigs

Post by Matrigs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:59 pm

but i can imagine that the centrinos are different from each other or what??

and what makes you sure about the turion processor? there aren't really any good benchamarks about it.... or have i missed something?

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:09 pm

The Centrinos are different for sure. By clockspeed and by generation (the code names you refer to). Generally Intel stops manufacturing an older generation when they bring a new one to the market, so if you buy a brand new laptop from a reputable manufacturer you will get the newest generation, but there is always some overlap of course.

But if you eg read Dells specs, they won't refer to their Centrinos as a Dothan etc. Instead, it will be speced as a Pentium M 750 1.86 MHz. The 750 is the model number which will tell you both clock speed and generation.

I don't have a table that maps model numbers to generations, but you could probably find one at Intel's homepage.

I've no idea of how fast eg a Turian is for audio apps, but you can be pretty sure it won't be any slower than a previous generation, and probably a bit faster for the same clock speed.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:21 pm

As I understand it the difference is mainly in the front side bus?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:28 pm

Also cache size I belive. They upped the size in the Dothan generation (maybe...)?