Producer workstations/desks-what are you using?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Agent47

Producer workstations/desks-what are you using?

Post by Agent47 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:06 pm

I want to either buy or build a workstation/DJ coffin/desk for my home studio. What is your setup? I want something that is more geared towards a performance setup so I can jam out in my home studio like I would at gigs yet still be functional for use as a production station.

Typical computer desks dont seem to really suit my needs since I have controllers I need to use and would prefer they were angled or something. Maybe I should just custom build my own. My dad is a carpenter...that may come in handy.

I am turning my home studio into a mini club(complete with lights etc) so I want my Ableton Live setup to mirror closesly what I encounter at club gigs...minus the stank beer smell.. ;)

Any ideas? Post up your setup pics!
I am neither a jockey nor do I spin anything....

divonic

Post by divonic » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:58 pm

I have everything crammed onto an old 1940's steel desk. it is even more full than it was before. it is not a very good solution but the thing is bombproof. I aslso need to update my set up. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a modular desktop thingy that had clips or shelves that you could adjust.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:19 pm

I found this very basic Ikea-ish computer desk. It's in my room right next to my dual-tiered synth stand, and my 6-unit rolling rack case. For my live stuff, I bring the dual-synth stand, the rolling rack case, and set my computer on whatever is available. It's fairly minimal, but it works great.

I'm planning on selling the rolling rack case at some point too to even further minimalize the set up. It will be my computer, the dual-synth stand, and a machinedrum when it's all worked out. I want to build a custom case for my computer and machinedrum so set up will just be opening the case, setting up the synths, and connecting cables. Easy peasey.

Agent47

Post by Agent47 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:22 pm

Yeah I saw on another forum this guy had custom built a sweet coffin style mixing desk with recessed areas for his cd decks and controllers, they were angled and everything, it was real nice. I am thinking something along those lines.
I am neither a jockey nor do I spin anything....

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:58 pm

I have two angled corner desks that give me plenty of room. They sit in each corner of the room and in between them I have an elevated table with my turn tables so I takes up about half of the room. It's a pretty decent setup and I find it pretty easy to rig my small amount of gear in a fashion that makes it comfortable to work.

The thing I don't have that I would like to set up is some form of elevation for the desks, so everything sits at the same height as my turntables. Then get an office type chair that can sit as high as say a bar stool and it would be great. Then you could still sit but if you wanted to stand and work, which a lot of times I want to, it would be possible. I considered elevating everything with cynder blocks or something.

If you have the room you should set up a bar type thing, or like an island that would be in your kitchen. You could cut and customize the counter tops to mount your gear in as needed.