What controller are you using live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andrewlogan

Post by andrewlogan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:40 am

I have a UC33e but can't get over how cool (and thin) the M-audio O2 is. Even in the studio its cool to have something that can comfortably sit on my lap.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:56 am

ztutz wrote:I'm using a Novation X-Station, which has a reasonable number of rotary knobs and faders, 61 keys, and decent although not spectacular 16-bit USB sound. (Oh, and it is a not-too-amazing-but-not-horrible synth too, if that matters to you.)javascript:emoticon(':)')

The best thing about it is that I need only my laptop and the X-Station. Plug right into the mixer via spdif or unbalanced out (d'oh!)
Just to clarify, the X-Station is 24 bit, unless you run all 16 bit in Live..... honestly I looked hard and deep at the Ozonic, and the Korg, the X-Station just had a ton of odd but useful features, like decent throw on the pitch wheel, decent X-Y controller placement, and a built in synth. The thing even has a place for batteries, and if you use rechargeable ones, will charge them for you. It comes with 40 templates for Live, FM7, Reactor, Kontact, etc.
the only downfall is USB, which limits the bandwidth a bit, you cannot play the built in synth while recording to both inputs, you can record one input, and play the synth mono if you like.
Novation made a great controller IMO. :)

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:34 am

Agent47 wrote:What do you use it for live as far as assignments? I am still working on what to assign where on my behringer.

I understand only too well - that's the major thing to get your head round of.

this is why I have two Faderfox controllers - they're more inuitive than the rest as they're laid out very Live-ish, if you know what I mean 8)

DJRetard

Re: What controller are you using live?

Post by DJRetard » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:49 am

Agent47 wrote:To those who have been gigging with Live, what controller have you been using? I have been using the Behringer B Controller and its working out well although I think I need something additional. What is your controller setup? I like the fader setup on the Behringer but would like somethig else I could assign eq and effects to.
I just bought 2 BCf and 2 BCR controlers for the studio. Whn I dj I think I will drag along the rotary version. Cant take to much stuff as I also use vinyl with Live. The behringer while cheap does have better build quality and looks better.

either behringer unit one would do you. An Ideal set up if you use Live to dj or perform with would be one of each.

wilsonrx

Post by wilsonrx » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:23 am

In the studio I have an Edirol PCR-30, 30 keys, 8 faders, 8 rotaries and 11 buttons - usually enough when I am composing.

When playing out live an Evolution UC-33.

SkeptikTank

Post by SkeptikTank » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:06 am

microcontrol and bcr2000. They keys on the microkontrol are really unusable except for triggering. The pads are to small and unresponsive, again good for triggering only, the joystick is small and wobbly. No pitch/mod wheel. It has a nice metal look, though. The behringer is great. Even though I prefer the size of the uc33 (which I gave to my son). I plan on getting a trigger finger, and maybe a smaller "travelable" keyboard with better keyes (any suggestions?) to replace the microkontrol
Hard: G5 2*2mhz, 2,5 mb, PB15 1,5MHZ, 1,5 mb, fw410, BCR2000, Korg mikrokontroll, GI20 midi guitar, variax500, Soft: osx 10.4.1: NI Komplete, Ohmforce complete, Pluggo,zebra, filterscape, etc