ABLETON LIVE VJ SOFTWARE!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Abzurd

ABLETON LIVE VJ SOFTWARE!

Post by Abzurd » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:26 pm

Considering how great of a program Live is for audio have you folks thought of creating a similar program for video?

A VJ program that had video synthesizers, allowed you to playback & manipulate video, flash movies & still clips as effortlessly as Live manipulates sound.

Oh & include multiple live video inputs to no one seams to have that yet.

ABZurd

braj

Post by braj » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:05 pm

I think the obvious thing would be a rewire slave video app or a VST that does video, both would allow midi to be used to trigger stuff.

braj

Post by braj » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:20 pm

On the Mac, it would be great if PixelToy could respond to Midi. I just emailed the developer, hopefully he'll think it's a good idea.

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:29 pm

Doesn't the Arkaos VJ program do something like that ?

I'm certainly interested in some kind of MIDI triggered on-stage visualisation/projection software for future use...
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

incinereight

Post by incinereight » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:31 pm

already done .. it's call resolume.

it can take midi messages and play back video/ flash what have ya ... with tons of effects

drush

Post by drush » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:31 pm

Mr. Henke is already doing this w/ a PC for the video bit during Monolake shows.

hambone1

Re: ABLETON LIVE VJ SOFTWARE!

Post by hambone1 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:32 pm

Abzurd wrote:Considering how great of a program Live is for audio have you folks thought of creating a similar program for video?

A VJ program that had video synthesizers, allowed you to playback & manipulate video, flash movies & still clips as effortlessly as Live manipulates sound.

Oh & include multiple live video inputs to no one seams to have that yet.

ABZurd
Arkaos VJ.

braj

Post by braj » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:46 pm

braj wrote:I think the obvious thing would be a rewire slave video app or a VST that does video, both would allow midi to be used to trigger stuff.

Has anyone checked out Pixeltoy? It's like a visual synthesizer. To me that would be better than just triggering video files.

http://www.lairware.com/pixeltoy/

Abzurd

Post by Abzurd » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:54 pm

The original reason I posted this is because Live has a type of straightforward yet innovative logic and I'm curious to see what they would come up with if they reinvented the VJ wheel so to put it. Especially considering what VJ programs exist. Think about all the DAWs which were out before live and how revolutionary its effect on music creation has been.

I use Arkaos & wish it had multiple video inputs www.arkaos.net/ If I had a more powerful laptop I'd use Touch Mixer & Touch Designer http://www.derivativeinc.com/tools/touchmixer.asp What would be great is something that combined Arkaos & the Touch programs without your machine crapin out. I've tried to play with around with resolume but could never get it to work.

Hey drush. What software is Mr. Henke using for his visuals?

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:50 pm

midividgpu runs on your video card so theres almost no cpu hit. i can run it fine behind live 5. it's not as featured up as arkaos, but given it's free for beta testing at the moment i'm happy enough :D !!
it responds to program changes to change presets of clips and apparently you can actually play clips from different preset groups at the same time as well. haven't tried that out yet, as you can use a full midi keyboard of clips in each preset, and i don't have that many clips for now.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Agent47

Post by Agent47 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:19 am

Yeah Arkaos is the way to go, Trent Reznor used it on his huge NIN tour. Also Sander Kleinenberg is doing something with some new piece of gear that syncs his decks with visuals.

http://www.arkaos.net/

I have a light controller, I wonder if I can hook that up to control arkaos..
I am neither a jockey nor do I spin anything....

ocp

Post by ocp » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:06 am

MacBook Pro 2.0, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.8, Live 7.0.18, etc.

http://ocp.pt.vu
http://doporto.pt.to

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:13 am

vidvox gridpro is Sh*t hot!! my mate uses it all the time and it's brilliant. if only it came for pc AND ran inside my video card like midividgpu i'd go for it.
i tried out grid as well, it was nice, but it wasn't happy running behind live on the one machine unfortunately. and since i can't buy two machines...
does arkaos run as a vertex shader inside a video card yet? they've been talking about doing that for a while, but so far midividgpu is the only software i've found that actually does it.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

bluskreen

Post by bluskreen » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:09 am

check out my friend and bandmates app, Livid Union 1.5.
http://www.lividinstruments.com/

fully midi controllable with tons of fx.
mac only right now, with a windows version on the way.

backwards

Post by backwards » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:20 am

Silly question here...is there anyway to set up so that the "second monitor" is a monitor that is on a network (connected via ethernet ports or firewire)?

Not specific to any video software just in general on OSX.

Thanx

p.s. ocp thanx for the link to ZWONULL.MGFX....I like it...