Downloading the Live 5 Upgrade , a few concerns

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
faisalbaig

Downloading the Live 5 Upgrade , a few concerns

Post by faisalbaig » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:28 pm

Hi. I want to buy the Live 5 upgrade via download.
I have never bought software in this way so my main concern is what happens if my internet connection drops during the download---which is very usual here!

I want to buy Filterscape aswell and in that case , you just download the Demo and when u pay , you get codes to unlock it.

How does it work with Ableton ?

Also i dont connect my studio Mac to the internet. So is it possible to DL the Mac version on a PC , burn a cd and then install on the Mac ?

Really basic questions , but just wanted to make sure.
Thanks a lot
Cheers

Faisal

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:35 pm

the zip file that you will download is the same as the demo version, it can take as long as you need to download, and can be interrupted, no prob.
the only moment where it's important to have a reliable internet connection, is when you enter the serial number and register your product. it's only a matter of seconds, and if it fails, you can retry it as many times as you want --i guess.

so no worry about that.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:43 pm

Once your payment has been approved you will be issued a serial number. Once you have the serial number you may download the software as many times as you like. So no, it is not a one time download if that is what you are worried about. If your connection drops just log back in and try again.

You wont have any problems transfering the software from your pc to your mac by burning a disk. The only issue will be unlocking the software. But you can do this by mail. Once you have entered your serial number you will be asked to unlock it and will be given the option to do this immediately online or to do it by mail. The software will run for 30 days unrestricted so unlocking by mail will not be an issue. I am not sure what the unlock by mail proceedure is as I have always done it online.

The machine you are running ableton on needs to be the one you use to unlock the software.

I would suggest, even if it is temporary, to connect your mac to the internet and unlock it, or even use your mac to download the software. Getting the software fully authorized over the net takes about, literally, half a second. Also, there is no danger in having your mac online.

I hop that helps.

faisalbaig

Post by faisalbaig » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:03 pm

Thats perfect. Thanks so much
Faisal