Plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hello

Plugins

Post by Hello » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:02 pm

I was wondering what file type plugins are. The set-up of my plug-in does not work. Apparently windows XP doesn't have an application to open it. The file type says "Dynamically loaded library" is this right?

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:04 pm

In most instances, you can't open them individually - just from within a program to use them. The exceptions are some VST instruments that can be used as standalone synths.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Hello

Post by Hello » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:22 pm

Okay, so how would I go about opening them from live? Sorry I'm a Newbie.

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:42 pm

No worries!

Go to Options->Preferences. The Paths section at the bottom starts off with 'VST Plug-In Folder.' This is the folder Live looks at for VST plugins. The default is Live's own vstplugins folder. If you use another program, like Cubase, all of your VST plugins will be in that program's vstplugins folder.

You can choose to direct Live to the external vstplugins folder, or copy the dlls to Live's vstplugins folder. I recommend copying them to the Live folder as not all plugins will be usable by Live. For instance, if you have Cubase, a number of the plugins in that come with it are locked for use with Cubase only, and if you link Live to that Cubase vstplugins folder, you will get annoying messages about each plugin that can only be used in Cubase every single time you startup.

Once Live knows where the vst plugins are, you can access them by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner that looks like a plug, under the icon for Live's internal plugins.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type