Mac Altivec Optimization vs. Intel/ AMD Optimization

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Mac Altivec Optimization vs. Intel/ AMD Optimization

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:38 pm

from past ableton post on the subject they say that Live is not Optimized for Intel or AMD chips either, and that if they do Optimize for the Mac that then they will have to Optimize for the others as well. My question is if after Optimizing for Altivec, the performance on a Pc will still be better, then will the performance on the PC be just insanely great after intel/ AMD
optimization? What kind of performance could be expected from Pc Optimization?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:40 pm

my god we are all so sick of this argument...

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:43 pm

No, just sick of programs that don't work properly for certain platforms.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:30 am

Three observations:

I just got a 867 TiBook knowing full well about these issues (and I am a "switcher", too) :lol:

Searching this forum will give you more stuff to read about this topic than you'd ever hope for.

Ableton are aware of this issue and are working hard to resolve it.

format

cd

Post by cd » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:10 pm

the best data ive seen yet illustrating amd/intel performance gains is the PDF file that comes w/ waves 3.5, comparing itself to the unoptimized 3.0. quite significant improvements...but it will only really affect you if youre using a ton of EQs or reverbs, raw audio tracks are more dependent on the core system speed and bandwidth, which is apples problem and not abletons.

format , i am somewhat baffled as to your decision to go with apple despite all the odds. i too am a 'switcher'. that is,to windows xp after using macs for the past 15 years. when my g3 400 was finally struggling to keep up, i built an athlon/xp and have not looked back since. in fact, i can not think of a single way the apple offerings of today are 'better' . for $2000 USD i built the latest greatest amd had to offer, including a pair of 18" lcd panels. from apple i would only be able to have purchased the base unit for that price (which itself would be half the speed of the pc for what i do) let alone the displays. then there is the issue of elegance of the UI, where xp clearly has the lead in terms of customization, flexibility, and features. much better handling of metadata (bitrate, khz, exif info, etc) in list views, full file management in open/save dialogs and even in many integrated filebrowsers, the ability to totally design the interface to my style of working was what i loved about mac os (pre 10.0) so while os x alllows you one way of thinking unless you like a tcsh shell, luckily xp has filled in the gap and allowed me to easily continue to working the way i want to including a self-designed visual theme and interface layout. and although ive spent well over $1k recently on audio software, i do appreciate the fact that the pc has better crackers so i can try a fully functional product out before i part with my money. that and stuff is generally available 3 to 6 months earlier on the platform, ableton and digidesign excepted. that said i look forward to getting another mac in maybe 2005, or whenever the transition to ibms 90nm process chips are complete and audio software has had more time to be ported and matured, and when os x has finally been improved to the point where it as usable as windows xp.

but back to the original point, go with the flow, rather than fight an obviously overworked team of developers for something which you can get a lot quicker by spending a few hundred dollars and building yourself a suitable tool....

Performance

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:59 pm

I follow this forum from time to time and find it amusing to see the consternation surrounding Live's performance on Mac. To me it's obvious that the software was written for PC and then ported to Mac. This usually doesn't work very well (remember Word 6 for Mac - dreadful). Even with Altivec enhancements, performance will suffer because it was not written for the Mac "from the ground up".

I currently use (mainly) Logic Platinum on a Compaq Evo 1000c (XP Pro)and Digital Performer 3.1 on a Ti Powerbook (400 MHz - 10.2.3). I prefer the Ti Powerbook because the performance of DP3 is heads and tails above Logic and, despite the comments by cd, OSX is much better than XP Pro (in my opinion).

Just my 2 cents worth though - Processor clock speed is not a good indicator of performance. If you do not believe this read this:

http://forgetcomputers.com/~jdroz/09.html

In fact, if you read some of the posts in this forum, it seems that those reporting performance are getting better figures from PIII processors
over P4.

If you plan on using Live as your main sequencer (probably not the best idea) it seems obvious from this site that you should get a PC.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:26 am

Well, just a quick answer as I'm just sick and tired of this discussion.

Alas, here are the reasons for my decision:

1 - Configuration
I'm not a computer novice by any means (used Windows machines for years and years), but the configuration and installation of the notebook were just unbelivably easy - including driver&software install and partitioning the HD, it took no more than 1 - 1.5 hours before I was ready to make music (continuing on stuff I'd copied over from my desktop computer). This saves me time and doesn't distract me from what I do best (or at least better than computer configuration) - namely music.

2 - Price
Your price comparisons seem to refer to desktop computers; with notebooks, however, you get quite a different picture: A mid-price, good-quality Sony (without shared graphics and with a mobile P4) sets you back about as much as my Powerbook with 768MB RAM - in the region of 2500 -2700 Euro.

3 - Logic Audio
Enough said :wink: ----and Logic runs like a dream in both 9 and X

4 - Live Artists
Many of the most well-respected electronica artist use PBs for playing out - and if it's good enough for the likes of Jan Jelinek, Richard Devine and Funkstörung to make amazing music, it's most certainly good enough for me.

And this will be my final remark on this as I'm busy and happy making music on my Powerbook :wink:

form.aat

ghest

Post by ghest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:13 pm

Hello, user of a compaq evo n1000,

What audio interface do you use with your compaq? I have the same laptop, and and emagic emi 2/6. It works fantastic, power and very low latency, zero pops and clicks, but: in Standard mode. If i work on ACPI mode there are pops and clicks. I quite don't mind, the only problem is that I can't see the battery life :(

Thanks

Maxim

Post by Maxim » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:54 pm

I think this Apple vs PC war will never end. Well at least it won't end as long as there exist apples and pears! hehe :P

I still think that succes lies in means of creativity and not in technology. So basically pc or mac can both work for you. Why not close this long chapter with that?

astromass

Post by astromass » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:36 am

yeah, this argument will go on forever. it's kinda like redneck people here in the usa who are into nascar racing..."i wont drive nuthin but my chevy" or "chevy's suck, ford forever! ". it's all about the driver and not how fast the car is. i switched from pc to mac last march, and i was up and running and making music almost immediately, and it took months to get my shit on pc to werk. regardless, i feel much more creative and am definitely more productive on the mac in osx. nuff said for me.
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:28 am

I drive a Ford Taurus and use a Powerbook 867.
I am the bumpitron.

FORMAT

MUSIK

Post by FORMAT » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:44 am

astromass & geargasm,

let's finish this off by getting down to the essentials:

what kind of music do you play? Do you play out often? Would love to hear from you...... about your experiences and insight :wink:
Feel free to contact me privately if you wish

format@gmx.co.uk