live 5 clip view loop regions... a bad thing??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xeb

live 5 clip view loop regions... a bad thing??

Post by xeb » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:06 pm

want some opinions/thought on this before i post in the feature wishlist... often its hard to look at a feature from a perspective other than your own so i wanted to see what others thought about the new clip loop markers in live 5 and how it effect their workflow.

i'm a dj and have been using live 4 for a while basically to chop tracks down into small loops for my own edits, or to loop over my sets

my usual method of preparing loops goes like this:
1. drop track in arrangement + warp
2. play through the track and select loops i want and ctrl-e them
3. delete the rest of the track then drag clips into session
hey presto some perfect loops

in live 5 this method is severly hampered.... when you make your loop in arrangement by ctrl-e'ing it, the start and end markers change, but the loop markers don't... they're still set at the start and end of the whole track. then i drop that into session and play the clip and all i'm doing is starting playback from the start of my desired loop... but it has to play right through the track to loop... no more do i have my nice 4beat loop. instead i have to set the start and endpoints of the loop region. this might seem trivial, but say i get 10 or 20 loops from a track.. thats a lot of zooming in and out and pissing about!

am i doing something (a) wrong or (b) different than most people??? i can't think why this feature would work like this intentionally in live 5. the loop region seems like a fantastic idea, but in my opinion would be LOADS better if it automatically fitted to the start and end markers (or had a button or right click to enable this to be set)

i'm seriously considering continuoing to work in live 4 to process my material then chuck it into 5 to play :?

any thoughts on this? is it something you've noticed and are happy with or unhappy with?

supster

Re: live 5 clip view loop regions... a bad thing??

Post by supster » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:27 pm

xeb wrote: am i doing something (a) wrong or (b) different than most people???

in my opinion would be LOADS better if it automatically fitted to the start and end markers (or had a button or right click to enable this to be set)
well, there are a lot of things about the new looping system i dont quite understand yet. some of them are an immediate improvement, others i thought were a bad thing until i worked with it for a while

.. then others i still dont get after messing around for a month now.
for instance, the start marker /end marker system, being unlinked from the loop and etc? how many times is that actually useful, as opposed to how often it just gets in the way?

it seems to me that some things were designed that way for some reason, but in some cases the consequences might not have been fully thought thru ...

in your case there were others in beta testing that brought this up, and there was an explanation given, which i didnt bother to think through because i dont do it the way you do it. but apparently others do: search the beta forum and someone from ableton did address this.

here's the way i do it in vs 5:

- load the track in session, warp right there. the new autowarp context menu and scrub tool make this a lot faster .. i used to do it in arrange too, but not anymore

- highlight your clip, CTRL-D to copy down the grid. now you have an original full track, and a copy. keep the original where it is.

- now loop a section of your copied clip. i usually loop 8 bars.

- use the arrow keys to scroll the loop along the clipview. when you find a section you want to keep, loop it properly, or create a one-shot (here's one place where the end marker thing gets really annoying .. but i digress)

- dont forget to name the clip something meaningfull

- then CTRL-D to copy the clip again. repeat.

- when you have all of your clips running down the track, highlight all of the clips, then drag them into the browser as a liveclip. name this the title of your track.

Now you have a track sectioned off and ready to drag in as a unit. very fast and efficent (except for that damned end marker!! ... we really need an ALT -CLICK to set that.. please ... :evil:) and tracks are ready to go sectioned off in a moments notice ...
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:33 pm

Hi Xeb,

I don´t work like you when chopping up tracks, I do it in session.

There is a rightclick command on top off the waveform view, loop current selection or something, check that out, it moves the loop where you need it.

I wrote down how this could be more logical, feel free to add what you think in this post:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

got already 88 views but only 2 replies.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

xeb

Post by xeb » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:07 am

thanks guys

will have a better hunt for that post. thanks for describing your method supster, sounds like it could work almost as well for me, will give it a go

serotoninsteve wrote:There is a rightclick command on top off the waveform view, loop current selection or something, check that out, it moves the loop where you need it.
yeah i noticed that before i posted... however its ALWAYS greyed out for me :? i've tried every possible combination i tcan think of (clicking on start/end markers, clicking on the loop region, going to arrangemnt and selecting an area in the arrange window then clicking above that in clip) and it never becomes an available option?!? any ideas?

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:23 pm

Have a read here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

The command only apears directly after chopping up the clip in arrangement.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

supster

Post by supster » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:58 am

my current project is warping tons of MP3s

i'm also at a loss about the "loop current region" command

why is it sometimes greyed out, and not others?

im not seeing any logic to it so far ... and no, its not documented in the manual

hoping that after the abes take a long deserved vacation break after the release, that they are going to address this and other quirky new aspects of the new looping system ..

(and address them with feature improvents in the updates if necessary.. )
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Chris J

Re: live 5 clip view loop regions... a bad thing??

Post by Chris J » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:31 am

supster wrote:it seems to me that some things were designed that way for some reason, but in some cases the consequences might not have been fully thought thru ...
I couldn't agree more.
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8