midiStroke .5 - free midi to keystroke convertor for OSX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:59 pm

OK... sorry about this. I'm reasonably sure that this one is compiled correctly, as it is about 2.5 times bigger when unzipped.

I replaced the original file (which I guess never worked anyways) so you can download the new version here:

http://www.charlie-roberts.com/midiStro ... Stroke.zip

Please let me know if this one is the lucky winner. - Charlie

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:04 pm

YAY!!!!! It's opening now! Will start to set up a "delete clip" patch on my Powerbook. Thank you again, this is soo great :-)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:39 pm

yes, yes. been waiting a long time for this one. us Brooklyn guys making sh#t happen! Nice Work!!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:52 pm

Charlie

I sequence live video from Live and use a separate Powerbook to generate graphics that require ASCII to change parameters.

Could Live transmit a simple MIDI note on to the Powerbook from the G5 to send an ASCII message to change visualizer patches?

Your stuff rocks, dude! All of your work is much appreciated. I for one will contribute cash for your stuff that I use.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:11 am

Hi Charlie

I've got it working when triggering MIDI notes from my keyboard, but Live hangs up with the utility running in the background.

I want to sequence MIDI notes in Live that will be seen in another application as ASCII data.

It's almost there! :D

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:05 pm

It seems to me that you should be sending MIDI over ethernet (or however else) to the graphics computer from the computer running Live. midiStroke would be running on the graphics computer. When it receives the midi message from the other computer, it would generate the appropriate keystroke.

Is that how you have it setup? Also, I haven't had any other reports of people having problems with midiStroke, so I'm interested in why it is hanging up Live??? But then, I don't really understand why you're running it on the same machine as Live, seems like it should be on the other machine.

Let me know if I am grossly misunderstanding something, which seems likely...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:30 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Charlie, You ROCK :!:

Thanks for all the itty bitty freebies. :D
I want to see the rest of these freebies!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:35 pm

bigbadotis wrote:It seems to me that you should be sending MIDI over ethernet (or however else) to the graphics computer from the computer running Live. midiStroke would be running on the graphics computer. When it receives the midi message from the other computer, it would generate the appropriate keystroke.

Is that how you have it setup? Also, I haven't had any other reports of people having problems with midiStroke, so I'm interested in why it is hanging up Live??? But then, I don't really understand why you're running it on the same machine as Live, seems like it should be on the other machine.

Let me know if I am grossly misunderstanding something, which seems likely...
I'm just running on the G5 for test purposes. It's hanging up Live. I just got an iBook yesterday to run the visualizer on. I'll test midiStroke on that. There's MIDI running various things, so I'll just MIDI up to the iBook and see what happens.

Thanks again!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:05 am

F8ckin sh*t hot, Charlie!

I'm hitting a keyboard letter on the G5, Live sends a MIDI note to the iBook, which is converted back into a keystroke. Incredible!

It works great! Now I can control and sequence the visualizer presets from Live rather than having to push keys on the iBook or pre-render the visuals as huge QuickTime movies.

The only problem is that the visualizer no longer responds to keystrokes on the iBook with the midiStroke running. It seems to be getting in the way of normal ASCII input in the iBook. That just means that I'll have to do everything from Live on the G5. No worries, though... now iBook can be stashed under the stage with the G5.

Fantastic! Got a PayPal account?

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:42 am

No on the paypal account... I might set one up some time so people can donate if they want, but as it is now, just enjoy. I have definitely reaped the benefits of free software; it's nice to be able to contribute to that pool of resources.

That's weird that midiStroke interferes with your normal ASCII input... it certainly shouldn't. I'm typing right now with it open on my laptop...

Regardless, glad it is working for you! - Charlie

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:51 am

Sorry, Charlie... a few more problems.

I've set up some CTRL X keystrokes, which work fine. But I've also set up a plus and minus to adjust sensitivity, but the program is seeing them as CTRL+ plus and CTRL-, even though I haven't ticked the CTRL box in midiStroke. Also, return doesn't seem to work. Do I just type in the word RETURN?

The utility does seem to take over the iBook when it's running, and I have to force quit midiStroke before I can do anything else. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:59 am

Been playing around a bit more.

In Text Edit, I can send a + and -. But the visualizer sees it as CTRL + and CTRL -.

And, if I just type a letter on the iBook, with midiStroke running, it always sticks a CTRL on the beginning.

If I can sort that out, this will be perfect...

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:07 am

Sorry to be dragging this thread on... maybe someone else will be able to use this, too.

I deleted any keystrokes that had the CTRL box ticked, and they all worked fine. As soon as I add one with a CTRL, they all want to send a CTRL command.

Edit: It's not adding the CTRL box keystroke that does this, it's sending one. As soon as one keystroke is sent with a CTRL, every keystroke after that sends a CTRL, too.

That's why I can't do anything else on the computer after sending a CTRL command. Even using the normal keyboard on the iBook thinks the CTRL key is permanently pressed down until I quit midiStroke.

It's like sending one command with CTRL locks the iBook's CTRL key down. I don't know if alt or command do the same thing.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:39 am

Thanks! That's something I'm pretty sure I can fix soon. - Charlie

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:04 pm

hi all, that's pretty off topic, but maybe one of you guys knows if it is possible to run two mouses on osx tiger? I could not find anything about this on the web but it would be soooo great if me and my mate could play with two mouses/cursors on live's GUI.