auto warp in 5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djfm

auto warp in 5

Post by djfm » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:35 pm

i thought auto warp was surpposed to do a good a job :(
nearly every track i have has had to be warped manually
wat gives am i missing summit about auto warp?
http://www.myspace.com/projectf - Progressive
http://soundcloud.com/fproject
http://twitter.com/fproject1

Macbook 2.4 4GB/Live 7.15/massive/Absynth 4

nicka

Post by nicka » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:10 am

same here it dont eve mange to find the first beat in the bar and normally uses the 2nd one!
Macbook 2.16 C2D - Ozonic - BCF 2000 - Allen & Heath xone 32 - Technics 1210's mk3 - and a badger

robin

Post by robin » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:06 am

same here too.

it mostly guesses the tempo kinda right but that's it, for me.

people have reported widly different experiences with autowarp which has me scratching my head as to why.

klarky

Post by klarky » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:30 am

mine seems fine on complex - ok so it never hits the first beat, but a quick drag over and its in time - saves me loads of time, c'mon guys you cant expect it to do ALL the work

robin

Post by robin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:10 am

klarky wrote:mine seems fine on complex - ok so it never hits the first beat, but a quick drag over and its in time - saves me loads of time, c'mon guys you cant expect it to do ALL the work
it doesn't do ANY of the work for me.

well ok it might get tempo roughly right.

don't get me wrong though this is an observation as I'm quite capable of warping my own files. as i say, i just want to know why we get differing results.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:05 pm

Very few tracks get perfectly auto-warped for me, but I have found something very interesting:

Adam Jay tracks & Adam Beyer tracks autowarp flawlessly.
Hence, I must assume that they are really the same person *and* that they/he/she secretly controls the Ableton development process. :lol:

Seriously though, lots of times the BPM discovered by autowarp will be pretty close and all I have to do to get close to being fully warped is to the slide the 1.1.1 marker over and run a "warp from here". Obviously there's lots to learn in warp world, but I think now, after some initial frustration, that overall the autowarp feature is definately useful once you start learning the tricks.

I think my point is, relax, sit down and work with it, learn the ins and outs of the features on the warp marker context menu, and you'll be happy eventually.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:11 pm

It depends on your source music.

If you record vinyl into the computer, you are going to need more warp markers than, for example, a dowloaded MP3. (At least, this is my experience)

Auto warp doesn't do everything. I find I have to drag the first marker, but from there its usually pretty good. I still go through and add 2-3 more markers per song, just for good measure.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:16 pm

djastroboy wrote: Seriously though, lots of times the BPM discovered by autowarp will be pretty close and all I have to do to get close to being fully warped is to the slide the 1.1.1 marker over and run a "warp from here". Obviously there's lots to learn in warp world, but I think now, after some initial frustration, that overall the autowarp feature is definately useful once you start learning the tricks.
See, my point is that when autowarp is activated on long clips (in the prefs) Live will analyse and get the tempo (which in itself is convenient and saves a couple of seconds) but 95% of the time i get no warp markers added at all. When I reset the 1.1.1 and then try the re-autowarp (via the context menu) thenI still get no warp markers.

I've read and reread the manual and I'm pretty sure this is not user error (I've been using Live3 and 4 for a couple of years and have warped long clips a lot, the point I make is that I'm not a new user).
I think my point is, relax, sit down and work with it, learn the ins and outs of the features on the warp marker context menu, and you'll be happy eventually.
I've played with this a lot and I'm not all hot and bothered by it it's just that I wonder why people get differing results. That's all.

Live 5 is still good and I think worth the upgrade but this non-working feature bugs me just a little.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:18 pm

subterFUSE wrote:It depends on your source music.

If you record vinyl into the computer, you are going to need more warp markers than, for example, a dowloaded MP3. (At least, this is my experience)

Auto warp doesn't do everything. I find I have to drag the first marker, but from there its usually pretty good. I still go through and add 2-3 more markers per song, just for good measure.
The first thing I did when the results of the autowarp was no-warp markers is to try stuff sourced from cd or mp3s. I get no difference.

I admit though, most of the tracks I use are recorded vinyl.

xeb

Post by xeb » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:04 pm

robin i'm getting the same.... after i select the right location for 1.1.1 and warp from here all it does is get the bpm about right and sometimes put one warp marker at 1.3.1 (why??????)

this is with simple 4/4 electronically produced house, usually pretty drum driven

i've tried all variants of helping it along as far as giving it bpms etc and nothign works

its not next to useless, it is useless as far as i'm concerned

Agent_Trig

Post by Agent_Trig » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:10 pm

hmm... Auto warp works perfectly for me (most types of dance music). All I have to do manually is move the 1.1.1 marker onto the first beat (instead of leaving somewhere inbetween 2 beats), the right click it and click 'warp from here'.

Works for me anyway

PS - this is on CD rips, not vinyl recorded tunes

xeb

Post by xeb » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:30 pm

i've tried mostly vinyl rips but some bestport mp3's as well. no difference, as with robin.