Behringer Monitors - Worth it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ambioun - Techno Man

Behringer Monitors - Worth it?

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:37 pm

I am looking at the Behringer B2030P Passive Studio Monitors and I am wondering if anyone has these and has some feedback on how they sound? $130 is about my budget and they fit perfectly.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:44 pm

for that price probably yes, but realistically NO.... dude save your money, go rob a 7/11 .. do whatever but you will be able to work your productions so much better with a slightly better set of monitors.

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:45 pm

Well the problem is that there is no way I can save up money to spend on something really good. All my funds are going into college. Anyway will they be better than the Sharp 3-Way crappy assed system I have?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:50 pm

I really like Alesis M1 Active Mark II for the low price range monitors. Pretty clean and relatively flat sound.

If I had to step up, I'd go Mackie 828 all the way. Now if I could only live without my 10-year-old Honda, I could afford the Mackies.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:39 pm

I've heard that if your going for budget monitors - you'd be better off with active ones. The logic being that you'd be certain that the amps are made to fit the speaker.

I just got the Behringer B2031A's. I like them.

/Mikael

FaX-01

Re: Behringer Monitors - Worth it?

Post by FaX-01 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:59 pm

Ambioun - Techno Man wrote:I am looking at the Behringer B2030P Passive Studio Monitors and I am wondering if anyone has these and has some feedback on how they sound? $130 is about my budget and they fit perfectly.
Go for the Active's Trust me.
I've been using them solidly for a year now.
Damn good for the money.
Have not had a single problem with them at all here either.
I pull very accurate mixes off them also BTW .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:32 pm

That's one of the sets that I use. The actives that is. I like them and have had many people comment on how good they sound. These suckers can get very loud too. Behringer has a bad rep with people but very few actually have experienced them first hand so I personally don't include heresay opinions.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Acervuli

Post by Acervuli » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:15 pm

Get the KRK Rokit 5 powered monitors. $299.00 a pair. The are most splendid for the money.
Acer
XP Home SP2, AMD FX55, Delta 44, 1500MB PC3200, WD120GB 7200Rpm
Atmosphere
Trilogy
Stylus RMX
WusikStation
ManyStation

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:45 pm

Acervuli wrote:Get the KRK Rokit 5 powered monitors. $299.00 a pair. The are most splendid for the money.
Acer
yeah i have the KRK Rokit 6's and even though my songwriting isn't upto par at the moment, my productions and mixing have been getting very positive feedback.

segue

Post by segue » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:27 am

Alesis M1 Active MKII's are cheap and awesome also... the Behringer Truths are good... basically theres little difference between them all in this pricerange. Get something, learn it, keep making music... win.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:53 pm

segue wrote:Alesis M1 Active MKII's are cheap and awesome also... the Behringer Truths are good... basically theres little difference between them all in this pricerange. Get something, learn it, keep making music... win.
actually i compared the KRK's to Alesis MonitorOne MKII's and the mid range on the Alesis just sound plastic sorry to say. The only speakers I recommend for such price range would be Yamaha MSP's, KRK's & Tannoy Reveal.

That's just my opinion though, most welcome to disregard it.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:13 pm

As this guy only has about 120 to pay it's probably worth him sticking with uber-budget behringer (go active though).. even the Alesis are about double that (more?)

big advice is - sort your room out, a bit of basic reflection damping will make your behringers sound better than speakers 4 times the price that are wedged in a corner of a reverberant cube room.

get some foam, blankets, wood baffles, eggboxes (aye really) it all helps.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:14 pm

Angstrom wrote:As this guy only has about 120 to pay it's probably worth him sticking with uber-budget behringer (go active though).. even the Alesis are about double that (more?)

big advice is - sort your room out, a bit of basic reflection damping will make your behringers sound better than speakers 4 times the price that are wedged in a corner of a reverberant cube room.

get some foam, blankets, wood baffles, eggboxes (aye really) it all helps.
and a fire extinguisher

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:26 pm

Fire extinguisher AND decent insurance? :D

I'm on the same boat, but it gets worse, as here in Uruguay we don't have as many choices as you have, and most imported stuff gets about double the price in the states...And we earn a third of what someone earns there...tough being an "electronic" musician down here...But HEY! I have to be positive, the chicks are beautiful, and no one wants to drop a plane on us... :?

Another pair of budget monitors could be the Tapco S5, have read many good reviews on them, they should be in a similar price range to the Behringers...
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:43 pm

M-Audio BX-5s. I've got the BX-8s as well, and I almost prefer the BX-5s.