All times are UTC

Post subject: Help!! Using Ableton Live 5 with 01x & Midi Hardware
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:01 pm 

Can someone tell me basically how to set up Ableton Live 5 with the Yamaha 01x and other midi hardware???
I've recently gained access to a studio which has a PC running Ableton, USB keyboard, a Yamaha o1x, a Korg Triton, Korg MS2000, and an Electribe.

I'm fairly new to MIDI, so there's still lots of things I need to get my head round, but basically I've got Ableton working with the 01x as a controller, and with the USB keyboard, but i'm not sure how to set it up to work with all the other hardware. eg. getting them all in sync and recording audio and midi from them. I feel i'm on the brink of getting it all to work, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rokko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:02 pm 

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:20 pm 

you're going to have to first sit down and map out how you want your midi routing to happen.

you've got 3 midi devices, and only two physical midi ports on the 01X, so somewhere in the chain, you'll have to use a midi thru (e.g. on the Triton)...

I'd suggest starting with something like this:

- The Triton is a pretty good master keyboard on its own, so make it the "Master".... run midi cables (both in and out) to the first pair of in/out midi connectors on the 01X.

- Run the Midi Out from the 01X's second Midi pair to the MS2000 Midi In.

- Run a cable from the Triton's Midi Thru to the Electribe Midi In.

That will give you basic routing, with all devices controllable from the Triton.

The 01X has 5 Midi ports, mapped like this (identical for both in and out):

- Midi 01: Carries control info between the 01X and computer (for controlling Live, et al)
- Midi 02: Carries midi data to/from the first set of physical ports
- Midi 03: Carries midi data to/from the second set of physical ports
- Midi 04: Carries sync and control data between the 01X and the Studio Manager/mLAN driver (required for port 01 to communicate properly)
- Midi 05: Carries control data for mLAN "general" devices, like an attached Motif

You'll need to turn on the various midi ports in Live's preferences... only light up what the port is needed for (e.g. don't light up "control" if you're just sending/receiving notes)...

In the above config, you'll be able to play all three devices directly from the Triton. Since the MS2000 and Electribe don't have teir Midi Outs connected, playing those directly won't send any midi data to Live. But, you can select which port is receiving the data sent from the Triton when you play it. It's referred to as "triggering". A note played on the Triton 'triggers' a note on another device..... when you record those, playing them back will also trigger that device.

You do the routing in the Live track itself. Select Midi In (Triton) and midi out (whichever port/channel goes to the device you want to trigger).

This is a really basic layout, and may not satisfy your specific needs....

If you need "Midi 101" advice, I can't give you that here (it would take a long time to write it!)..... but there's plenty of resources and references on the web to access and read..... just google it!

Finally, if you want to be able to play any or all of the devices directly, and record the midi output, you'll probably need a midi merge/routing box... they're inexpensive, but provide extra ports.

Some have two ins/outs downstream, so you could connect both your 01X's physical ports to it, then upstream, you might have 4 pairs of ins/outs to connect all your gear to.... a little trickier to get your head around, but routing Midi the first time is like wiring a home entertainment center..... you've got to map it out and make functional decisions....

In the end, there will be some "trial and error" in the learning process.... but it starts by just plugging stuff in and working with it!

hope this helps some...

peace,
tribalogical

Apps:: Live Suite 8.2.6, Logic Pro 9, Reason 6+Record 1.5
Plugins:: Hordes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:25 pm 

by the way, sync is another issue entirely (but requires the routing to be in place to work!).... each device has its own midi settings. For "sync" it's a good idea to just use Midi Clock to get started. Set each device to "external" sync, and then set Live as the Midi Clock master......

that should get the basics happening....

You should also learn about "midi echo", and learn when to turn it on and off for each device.....

peace,
tribalogical

Apps:: Live Suite 8.2.6, Logic Pro 9, Reason 6+Record 1.5
Plugins:: Hordes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:59 pm 

Man you're a legend. Thanks a lot. I should get a chance to try things out in the next couple of days.

Cheers mate

Rokko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:25 am 

i'm having some real problems with mine. i can't seem to figure out how to tell the difference between mlan outs, and hardware outs.

i want to set up my filter factory on an fx send form the aux out, but all i'm getting is mlan outs.

i also get this high pitched whine when the mlan connector has connected, and it goes away when i disconnect it.

anyone have any ideas?

http://www.illgates.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:02 pm 

The hi-pitched whine sounds like something to do with clock sync.

raw hedroom facebook
raw hedroom soundcloud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:13 pm 

i think it might be a bad firewire cable... i'm having the same problems on my pc as on my mac, and i know the wordclock is set right.

i also tend to lose sync on my pc every now and then.

god it's driving me up the wall!

http://www.illgates.com