Using Live as a stand-alone Sampler/AU host with iMac G5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eskay

Using Live as a stand-alone Sampler/AU host with iMac G5

Post by eskay » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:59 pm

In the process of revamping my studio, and the way I work. Currently my partner is building a Dual Opteron PC, which will run Nuendo 3. My idea is to buy a Imac G5 and run live as a sampler/virtual VST AU host. Think of it as a hardware sampler where Nuendo will be triggering it from my PC.
All I need in live is to trigger clips or scenes. I think it's the fastest way with working with beats. I'm tired of chopping up loops in Recycle and using Reason to play them back. As I hate the arrange view, I'm thinking this would be the best scenario. At the same time I can use some VST synths as well. To me this is better any other sampler. I will be using a M-Audio Firewire 1814, 8 analog outs into my 01v96. Anybody else doing this setup?
Thanks.
"Computer don't create horrible music.....humans do."

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:01 pm

eskay,
any particular reason for getting an iMac rather than a PC?

is it cause you're a PC guy or are there some mac specific plug-ins you'd like to run.
i ask because the performance mileage you'd get out of Live on a PC as a plug-in host would be greater than on Mac.

eskay

Post by eskay » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:31 pm

AdamJay wrote:eskay,
any particular reason for getting an iMac rather than a PC?

is it cause you're a PC guy or are there some mac specific plug-ins you'd like to run.
i ask because the performance mileage you'd get out of Live on a PC as a plug-in host would be greater than on Mac.
Actually I'm a Mac guy who has gone PC!!!
The PC that my buddy is fixing is killer. It can run tons of VST plugs. Especially 3 or 4 Reaktor's. I've been extremely fed up with the Mac performance forever! When the second generation Mac Intel desktop's come out I will purchase one, but tha't quite some time for now.
Back to question. I still need a Mac in my studio. I think I will go crazy if I'm only PC. Plus I want to run Pro-Tools LE on it, so I can do my editing and so forth. What I figure is that the IMac G5 can be my sampler and my 2 trk editor. Meaning when I dump everything into Nuendo, I can then use my Mac as a 2 tk machine, running Pro-Tools.
I'm not there though without a Mac in my studio!!!!!
Shouldn't an iMac G5 2.0 ghz give me a good amount of plugs though Jay????
"Computer don't create horrible music.....humans do."

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:40 pm

I think Charlie Clouser uses live in the same manner. Check the artist pages.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:52 am

Hi, I am fed up with my powerbook speed as well...
so I'm thinking of buying an iMac for the studio. I am particulary fed up cause I can only use ONE reaktor instance...
and now my new baby arp2600 I can use about 2 Instances...
with freezing not really workin I am back to performance issues!

what could I imagine from a 2GHz G5?

could I like run 3 reaktor instances (drums, 2 synths), 4 arp 2600, 1 Battery instance, 2 absynth instances, and some other free plugins with some decent reverb?
or would this be too much?

btw... arp2600 has an I*N*C*R*E*D*I*B*L*E sound! and it's not tooo hard on cpu...
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:58 am

hm, other request:

what could I expect from a lets say 1.5GHZ celeron laptop?
and how would you synch them? would this be a solution?
just using the laptop as my plugin calculator and triggering it from my powerbook... is this realistic? hmmm? PC... bäääh... no I'm shure it'll be full of bugs and I'd have to have 2 controllers combined so both are changing scenes at the same time...?
argh!

???

cheers
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!