People: Ninjam rules! (Live jamming tool for online collabs)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

People: Ninjam rules! (Live jamming tool for online collabs)

Post by Machinate » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:00 pm

Okay, so SweetJesus and I tried out the digitalmusician.net thingy and it, being a regular vst plugin, can't provide realtime jamming in both directions - one can be in sync, but it's way off in the other end.

Now, another mate had told me about ninjam.com - a system, that actually adds latency, rounding up to the next bar, so every thing is in sync - it's just delayed by a bar :) You set the tempo in the program, and it automatically calculates the delay, provides a click and and also gives you a quick mixer (volume, pan)

SweetJesus is in Australia, I'm in Denmark, yet the shit actually works! Good quality sound as well! Given, we didn't produce anything remotely meaningful, but it was all good fun, and I could see myself doing full productions/collab jams using this system - maybe even using Shoutcast to forward the jam to the internet.

For non-realtime producer/artist action the Digital Musician plugin is pretty cool, but Ninjam is the shizzle for real-time jams! They're even providing free servers for now, you can set up your own server, invite as many collaborators as your upstream server connection can handle, and you're golden! Basic asio/directSound functionality is also there and it can record the session either as a compressed ogg/mp3 (can't remember which) or wave stream, either the complete mix or individual streams, for mixing later.

www.ninjam.com

I'll be looking to collaborate with some more people during the next couple of weeks! It was a lot of damned fun.

Andreas

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm

Thanks for posting this. I found digitalmusician.net kind of wack, but this looks better.

rs

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:55 pm

Yeah, and there's also a difference in the karma - digitalmusician.net is glitsy and buy-buy-y, and the ninjam site is really open-sourcey, which I really dig.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:24 pm

Very interesting. Lets try to keep this topic at the top for a while!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:26 am

hey all,

i think both tools have a lot of features and both are really valuable for specific situations. the features that one has which the other doesnt, should be able to be implemented in both programs so i think in the longterm we will have at least two very different but very awesome music collaboration and jamming platforms.

Currently as Andreas mentioned, Ninjam is best for jamming and DML is best for doing takes and runnin a session remotely.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:02 am

ninjam is made by the guy who made winamp. interesting.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:08 am

TekMonki wrote:ninjam is made by the guy who made winamp. interesting.
Tekmonki! It really whips the Laama's Ass!

Dude, its trippy seeing your name, I recently lost a bunch of awesome old breaks loops which all I could attrtibute to its origin was that it came from ur site as it was embedded in the download folder...

Do you still have those? Am I even talking to the right person?

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:18 am

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:58 am

TekMonki wrote:You mean these?
dude thats the shizz!! Thanx!

neomodo

Post by neomodo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:33 pm

[quote="TekMonki"]ninjam is made by the guy who made winamp. interesting.[/quote]

oh you mean seth green?

I know it's spozed to be Napster but I just couldn't resist... "The Italian Job" is what I am referring to...
P-4 3.0ghz 1.5 gb ram - ata +sata+usb+firewire
Matrox dual g450 adapter - MBOX - XP Pro SP 2 - Pro Tools LE 6.9 - Reason 3 - Korg Legacy - Guitar Rig - Amplitube - Ozone -Kantos -PSP Collection - Kontact - Waves - Sampletank - Tracks

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:36 pm

neomodo wrote:
TekMonki wrote:ninjam is made by the guy who made winamp. interesting.
oh you mean seth green?

I know it's spozed to be Napster but I just couldn't resist... "The Italian Job" is what I am referring to...
hehe
yeah i forgot about that reference "Shawn Fanning stole my disc" thing...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:43 pm

did any others give Ninjam a try?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:27 pm

I tried it briefly. However I must get my routing working before I can actually do something. Live->Ninjam. You could do it with an old fashioned audio cable I guess. Much neater would be with something like Virtual Audio Cable and do it all internally.

Only an issue for us PC people I guess.

lightman

Post by lightman » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:52 pm

ive been using ninjam for a while now, and it rocks, infact im using it as i type.

im planning a podcast for recorded jams and other live/unsigned music. (please contact me if you have material that might be suitable)

www.jamroompodcast.blogspot.com
Cheers,
Ben Gummery
Musican

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:26 pm

I downloaded this, but then decided it's be a good idea to reformat my machine (for other reasons) . . .so now I'm in the middle of reformat hell . . but the gist I get is that this is good for live audio, but not so much for "jamming" with VSTs/midi?

True or false?