Latency hell!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chino2012

Latency hell!!!

Post by chino2012 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:53 pm

I just got the Mobilepre USB and Live 4. All i want to do is record some basic guitar, add some lead and throw on a drum machine. I have managed to get my overal latency down to 13 ms but there is still enough of a delay that when i play my second guitar track over the first it is off. I am a total novice to recording and this program. I just want to get rid of the latency so i can record some songs SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:01 am

try www.asio4all.com as that drivers tends to cut latency by a lot. USB unfortunately isn't the best bus for latency though. firewire is better, and pci/pcmcia are probably the best. the reality is you can only minimise latency, not ever actually get rid of it. once you start getting below 10 ms total it's generally good enough to use though, and using asio4all i've had my usb edirol UA20 soundcard down to 64 samples stably.
good luck, hope it works for you!
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

chino2012

Post by chino2012 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:10 am

Yeah tried that already, thanks though. It seems im pretty much screwed witht the USB unit I have. Thanks anyways.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:26 am

not necessarily - have you shifted your second guitar track in the recording? you should be able to move things back into time that way. also, do you qualify of the free live 5 upgrade, as this has manual latency adjustment per track which could potentially solve your problem.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

husker

Re: Latency hell!!!

Post by husker » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:27 am

chino2012 wrote:I just got the Mobilepre USB and Live 4. All i want to do is record some basic guitar, add some lead and throw on a drum machine. I have managed to get my overal latency down to 13 ms but there is still enough of a delay that when i play my second guitar track over the first it is off. I am a total novice to recording and this program. I just want to get rid of the latency so i can record some songs SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
whan you say "it is off" what do you mean? Is it recorded out of sync on the tracks or is the latency making it difficult for you to play in sync. 13ms shouldn't be a problem with guitar really? If you turn Monitor to Off on the track, and the new guitar through "Direct Monitoring" on the Mobilepre that should sort that out.

cheers.

chino2012

Post by chino2012 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:36 am

How do i set the first guitar track to direct monitor? Ive been seeing this all over the forums but no clue how to do it. I am not eligible for the upgrade to 5 no. When I say its off i mean, I play a rythym track. Then on track 2 i lay down some lead. What i am playing is on with the first track but when i play it back the lead track is no in sync just enough to make it sound "off" and it just wont work.

husker

Post by husker » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:51 am

How are you monitoring now? Are you playing through a guitar amp and monitoring through that, or is everything coming from the Live output?

This works the same in Live4 and Live5 btw.

Have you set the overall latency compensation in Options to anything other than 0? You shouldn't really need to change this.

chino2012

Post by chino2012 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:57 am

I am not monitoring through a guitar amp. Actually i have a mic plugged into the M-Aduio Mobile Pre USB that I am recording into Live. The I set up another track and do the same thing. I have gone into the audio preferences and changed everything down as far as it will go. The lowest I can get it to go is 17 ms overall. Anything else and it start popping and cracking. Should I be using a guitar amp as a monitor? Would that fix things because I can try that too. Thanks

treysmith

Post by treysmith » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:03 am

Seriously, save yourself a ton of trouble and eBay your current setup and get a firewire interface. If your short on cash go for the Maudio Firewire Solo...

check it out here: http://www.midiman.com

husker

Post by husker » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:04 am

Acoustic guitar through a microphone? In which case you are monitoring 'through the air'. If you do this, then make sure you Monitor - Off for the new track you are recording...have you tried this? It should then sync up correctly.

p.s. and do make sure you haven't set overall latency compensation in Options to anthing other than 0

chino2012

Post by chino2012 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for your help, i finally figured out how to get it to work with out the desync. Thank you all very much for your help and quick responses!