Vocal help (autotune?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:39 am

forge hi. i'll rather miss out on a few dx plugs than use additional host workabouts.., it takes away the efficency which is probably why you havnt used fruity in 2years. :)

oh well, its still the bestest hostest out there.
hurry up.... mr squigle....

forge

Post by forge » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:27 am

MrSleep wrote:forge hi. i'll rather miss out on a few dx plugs than use additional host workabouts.., it takes away the efficency which is probably why you havnt used fruity in 2years. :)

oh well, its still the bestest hostest out there.
totally, was just adding a 2c worth really, I barely use auto tune any more since getting melodyne, but I used it recently (I just used Cubase SX2 - wont say whether legit or not :wink: ) to render a big long file with it and save time - not perfect but I had alot of files to do and melodyne could have taken ages.

The Offender

Post by The Offender » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:40 am

if u need autotune on your vocals then u suck. period.

Obineg

Post by Obineg » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:31 am

if you spell you as U , you're lame , period.

conny

Post by conny » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:48 am

MrSleep wrote:conny, so there is no hope for us then..
Something very wrong here, cause I cant load Kantos either without a system dump.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

conny

Post by conny » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:12 pm

Antares support helped me out:

"There is a known issue with Windows XP SP2 and PACE protected
applications causing an error when the Data Execution Prevention is set
to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select".

This option can be found in "System Properties | Advanced | Performance
Options | Data Execution Prevention".

For processors that support hardware-based DEP, you must manually change
the DEP settings to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and
services only." For processors that do not support hardware-based DEP,
this setting is the default.

Also, download and install the latest Interlok driver update, and
then reboot. The driver can be downloaded from http://www.paceap.com."

//C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Jopke

Re: Vocal help (autotune?)

Post by Jopke » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:16 pm

The typical hang-ups people have with auto tuning vocals reminds me of me and the way I used to view electronic music... ignorantly. Once I realized the skill and discipline necessary to digitally compose something that actually sounds good, I did a 180. New musical mediums are invented as times change and the ability to auto tune vocals is just one of them. If an artist is able to create something that is good... who cares what method was used?

I might even go so far as to call someone a hypocrite who sits in front of a DAW and shuns people who use this one of many amazing tools at their disposal.

These people should have to build all your instruments from scratch.
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. . ...

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:47 am

8 year old thread??? You rfeally digged deep for this one!

Whats allmost funny is these are still the main options for vocal fixing and/or abuse. Autotune to get the done to death abuse effect and melodyne to keep stuff natural and actually fix it.

BTW am I the only the who think that auto-tune on male vocals makes them sound like eunuchs? On female vocal it cn be a nice effect in context, but on male vocal - urgh!! Use a vocoder or something ffs!
Nothing to see here - move along!

Moosebear

Post by Moosebear » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Ha ha I read thru to the end and only then noticed how old the thread is!

One recent development to add to the mix is Flex Pitch which is now part of Logic, for those on Mac. At $200 it might be a decent option, perhaps better value than Melodyne.

And the purists should give it a rest. I'm sure when the tuning fork was invented there were purists who shrieked: "If you don't have perfect pitch, you are no musician. This devil's tool is for amateurs!"

I use melodyne to tune the vocals of my demos. If I didn't, I would repeat my slightly flat singing when I sing live, and people would wince, I'd lose confidence, and my live singing would get even worse. So tuning vocals allows me to learn it correctly, to hear it, and MY PITCH GETS BETTER. I become a better musician, thanks to tuning. Haters who insist on being off-key, good luck with that.

That said, I personally dislike quantization. Never use it. I'm sensitive to rhythm, and want subtleties of timing, a more human touch. My ability to hear pitch, however is weaker and I need the help. Maybe for some people with perfect pitch, tuning vocals is pointless. Lucky them. That ain't me, and I wouldn't stop tuning my vocals any more than I'd deliberately play an untuned guitar to sound more "authentic" or some BS.