Risks of DJing w/ Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supster

Post by supster » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:59 pm

sonorous3 wrote:u 2 years from now if hes stil alive or djing he will be do that same eoectro crap imo? i dont think so...
the thing is .. you know ... the longer you hammer one particular style or niche, it gets old.

as a listener or an artist, the same principle holds.

so as an artist (producer, DJ) you should find yourself wanting to change things up not only for yourself to keep things fresh, but for the listeners, who will get equally tired of whatever it is if you keep to the same old thing.

its really no more complicated than that i think. you are either going to like the changes, or you're not, but in the end its all a matter of taste anyway.

note that progressive house was becoming (in general) a very big room, dubby, slow build kind of style lacking vocals for the most part

note that the styles being hammered now are the opposite of that.

its not rocket science imo :)
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:21 pm

note that progressive house was becoming (in general) a very big room, dubby, slow build kind of style lacking vocals for the most part

note that the styles being hammered now are the opposite of that.
A lot of that has to do with what is happening to the nightlife, at least here in the USA.

Many cities have imposed 2 AM closing laws, which affects the music styles because DJs no longer have the time to slowly develop a set like before.

I remember when my friends and I would play gigs that lasted well into the daylight hours... but then the laws changed, and it instantly destroyed everything. Most of our crowd was wait staff from local rstaurants... and they always came late night. But with the bars closing so early, they never had enough time to hang out anymore... so they stopped coming in to drink for 1 hour or so before being kicked out.

The same goes for big DJs as well. I remember going to see Sasha & Digweed and they could play for 12 hours, or even more. Now if you get just one of them to play 4 hours, that's a lot. Sure there are a few places left that don't have to close early... but they are becoming rare.

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:57 pm

hambone1 wrote:Apart from some surround sound and live percussion, I more or less leave the songs alone and concentrate on flowing one track into the next, video, lighting, the crowd, keeping everything working, and making sure that some drunken dilrod doesn't trash my gear. I don't even stay on the stage the whole time.

Beat meat repeat, supa dis, trigga dat, cheezy filter sweeps, even cheezier EQ cuts and mash-ups, double-flip butt-fuck robo voice resonating redux flangers, etc... they're the ingredients of how the immature and inexperienced geekboffin DJ will masturbate to the crowd with predictable results that will make even vinyl DJs look good.

My opinion only.
this was the funniest shit i've read on this forum, you had me dying with that one hambone
for the love of Live

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:58 pm

fuckit that paragraph should be a t-shirt
for the love of Live

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:25 pm

Many cities have imposed 2 AM closing laws, which affects the music styles because DJs no longer have the time to slowly develop a set like before.
i dont really agree with that. when the clubbing scene kicked off in the UK no clubs had a licence past 2am. all the best nights had a 2am licence [renaissance, etc]. you can still do a kick ass set with only 2 hours to play. the ultra long set that US dj's would play was something alien and weird to UK clubbers back then.

so as an artist (producer, DJ) you should find yourself wanting to change things up not only for yourself to keep things fresh, but for the listeners, who will get equally tired of whatever it is if you keep to the same old thing.

its really no more complicated than that i think. you are either going to like the changes, or you're not, but in the end its all a matter of taste anyway.
theres nothing wrong with keeping things fresh. i think he has lost the plot. when the prog sound developed - he got into that. when the breaks sound developed - he got into that. when the trance sound developed - he got into that.

now heres what made him stand out. he took elements of those sounds and developed his style around them and producing tracks that had the influences but remained progressive. breaks - 2 phat cunts: the ride or trance - sasha - xpander. i just dont think thats happening now.

for the record - his new remix of faithless - insomnia is a return to form. quality, but his dj sets leave me cold. they did inspire

markoos

Post by markoos » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:43 pm

saw sasha last saturday night (digital, newcastle). for the most part he didn't use his mac/maven combo. i think it might have been too hot in the club - yes, amercians - some of our clubs are hot (thats temperature hot, btw).

BUT we heard some amazing tracks - didn't he just do a remix of depeche mode aswell? never heard that at all - consiering mister peter tong played it the night before (fridays essential selection), we were somewhat dissapointed.

there was this one track - some sort of turbo-polyrythmic-pitchbending freekout that had the peoples climbing up the booth, i tell thee. it had this kick-type bassline which was skipping from pattern to pattern within a four bar sequence or something - like from 16ths down to half time and then back up - right up - and then either it would pitch up, still keeping the bass, or maybe extra harmonics would come into this kick-bass... it didn't really seem like it was rising in pitch... but whatever it wasl - it destroyed the place.

anyway, like I said - very little mavening, lots of actual DISC jockeying. and a great night.

and satoshi on the same bill... excellent!

robin

Post by robin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:16 am

Why must every DJ thread talk about Sasha?

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:24 am

it doesnt have to.

just nobody from team hawtin or camp surgeon has bothered to give there opinions yet. on what so far has been on of the better and more interesting threads this week.

robin

Post by robin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:33 am

It'd be nicer not to use Sasha as an example every time thassall. OTOH he's high profile so I guess that's why he crops up.

I mean why no talk of Claude Young or BMG? They've both been doing the Live thing in clubs a lot longer than Sasha....

Ah well if the kids are into Sasha that's just the way it is I guess.

(....just mumbling to myself again :) )

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:48 am

i've never heard claude young. if people brought more original users up in the threads, instead of all the 'sasha who' 'sasha die' stuff. it would broaden my horizons and raise their profile on this forum. i'd love more links to sets to listen to how people are using ableton.

sometimes reading this forum you would be mistaken for thinking only two international djs use it.

robin

Post by robin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:03 pm

nuperspective wrote:i've never heard claude young. if people brought more original users up in the threads, instead of all the 'sasha who' 'sasha die' stuff. it would broaden my horizons and raise their profile on this forum. i'd love more links to sets to listen to how people are using ableton.

sometimes reading this forum you would be mistaken for thinking only two international djs use it.
yeah fair enough. another guy to look out for is Kirk DeGiorgio. He's been using Live for a few years too.

BMG is Brendan Gillen a detroit dj that has inspired a lot of people with his use of Live.

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:08 pm

if you know of any links to sets etc please put them up or pm me.

robin

Post by robin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:00 pm

just found this for BMG

http://star67.com/bmg/

not listened to this myself though but other stuff i've heard (and seen) has been very nice.

for Claude Young try this...and again I haven't heard this one yet (at least I've found somat to listen to today :) ). it's interesting to note (for those that aren't awaree of his work) that Claude is a proper wizard with turntables so it's interesting he's turned to using Live.

http://www.claudeyoung.net/complexhome.html