MIDIgun

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
colin_h

Re: MIDIgun

Post by colin_h » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:07 pm

Macrostructure wrote:....and my controller too natch....

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm
cool shit yo!
..-

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:46 pm

LOFA wrote:HI. My questions were generally shots in the dark.

[snip]

If you have any more specifics or interest, please PM me. I trust you are reasonable, and I am not so much concerned about markup as I am that this unit requires an immediate price increase from the evolution part (with which I haven't yet figured out it's purpose.)

As far as Max/Msp, I was making a sort of ad-hoc suggestion that maybe you could elaborate on how this unit interacts with a (in my case Mac) cpu.

Thanks! :D
Taking this in reverse order:

The unit sends midi data via USB to the PC or Mac via a completely standard MIDI to USB converter, in this case one made by Evolution. Beyond that the process is outside my area of knowledge. I know nothing about MAX/MSP. Sorry.

I don't really understand what you are talking about with regard to markup, price and Evolution parts. Again, sorry. The MIDI-USB converter is such a minor element both in terms of cost and effort that I don't really see where you are coming from.

If interest in the unit continues at current levels then parts lists and blueprints may become available in the Autumn for a fee. Kits are a possibility but will be very expensive and so would probably be by arrangement only in return for 100% cash deposit.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:51 pm

u can code the PIC to send MIDI via USB too..... Haven't looked at the
code but imagine it's similar to how any other data is sent, just a matter of
getting the protocol right.

-Ben

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:02 pm

MrYellow wrote:u can code the PIC to send MIDI via USB too..... Haven't looked at the
code but imagine it's similar to how any other data is sent, just a matter of
getting the protocol right.

-Ben
I think the PIC solution is good for building low-cost streamlined units of good quality. Some very sophisticated programming and functionality is possible. But you have to got through the process of deciding what setup to program and then proramming it. Unfortunately I was really put off by the learning curve necessary in that - I was battling with machining the casing in my kitchen using a hand drill at the time (yes, really!) so I went Doepfer, a decision that was not without it's problems but I got there in the end.

I could write a book about making this unit, for real....