Mackie Control and Live's Plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarkH

Mackie Control and Live's Plugins

Post by MarkH » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:28 am

I have a Mackie Control on the way. What sort of parameters can it control in Operator and other native Live plugins? My primary reason for the Mackie is controlling faders and automation, but from what I can see the Mackie Control Universal also controls plugins. I'm envisioning myself controling EQ4, Compression, etc. and it all seems to good to be true. Am I dreaming or am I really going to the next level of tactile hands-on control? :lol:

Regards,
MarkH
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

jondough

Post by jondough » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm

It's not a dream! You are gonna love the next level. All things are possible with the Mackie Control. :twisted:
Solitaire Co C.E.O. @ Insomniac Studios... Don't Sleep

Peropaal

Post by Peropaal » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:55 pm

except that it is a pain in the arse to use
sigs are out of fashion

sweetjesus

Re: Mackie Control and Live's Plugins

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:47 pm

MarkH wrote:I have a Mackie Control on the way. What sort of parameters can it control in Operator and other native Live plugins? My primary reason for the Mackie is controlling faders and automation, but from what I can see the Mackie Control Universal also controls plugins. I'm envisioning myself controling EQ4, Compression, etc. and it all seems to good to be true. Am I dreaming or am I really going to the next level of tactile hands-on control? :lol:

Regards,
MarkH
you bastard

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:17 pm

Peropaal wrote:except that it is a pain in the arse to use
Maybe so, but it's literally a pain on my wrist to automate parameters with a mouse. I map certain controls to the Trigger Finger sliders and knobs, but that's on a per-song basis depending on what plugins I'm using. For all-purpose volume faders and automation the Mackie will win hands down. I read the chapter on using the Mackie in the Live 5 manual and I think for some plugins like EQ4 the Mackie will be simple. For more complex plugins in would be nice to have the Mackie C4. :lol:
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:11 pm

I like the MCU a lot. A PITA was having to use the mouse for everything. I just wish it was possible to delete clips with the MCU.

Peropaal

Post by Peropaal » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:22 pm

MarkH wrote:
Maybe so, but it's literally a pain on my wrist to automate parameters with a mouse. I map certain controls to the Trigger Finger sliders and knobs, but that's on a per-song basis depending on what plugins I'm using. For all-purpose volume faders and automation the Mackie will win hands down. I read the chapter on using the Mackie in the Live 5 manual and I think for some plugins like EQ4 the Mackie will be simple. For more complex plugins in would be nice to have the Mackie C4. :lol:
I think what should be done to make the Mackie workable, is to allow us to rearrange the parameters with drag-n-drop in the extended plugin view. This, in my view, would be a solution that would not break anything, interface-vice.

I¨ve posted about this before, but either I was horribly unclear, or there is no notion of it being a real problem (which I strongly disagree with, of course).

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Last edited by Peropaal on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sigs are out of fashion

Peropaal

Post by Peropaal » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:28 pm

This is an issue that touches external plugins in the same way. I mean, how do you alter parameters interactively in Reaktor from within live? Its a lot of trouble isn't it?

With the Mackie there is one universal point of access, that should be extended to govern all plugins as well. But in the same way that I am allowed to alter track sequences, (and plugin sequences), why not parameter sequences as well??
sigs are out of fashion

Q&A

Post by Q&A » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Peropaal wrote:
MarkH wrote:
I think what should be done to make the Mackie workable, is to allow us to rearrange the parameters with drag-n-drop in the extended plugin view. This, in my view, would be a solution that would not break anything, interface-vice.

I¨ve posted about this before, but either I was horribly unclear, or there is no notion of it being a real problem (which I strongly disagree with, of course).

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my top mackie control wish.

Here is why it is not so practical to have the plugin parameters layed out as they are currently:

I usually end up need to fiddle with one or two parameters per page. It is borderline useless to try to jump back and forth between pages to access the parameters that I need.

I end up mapping parameters to my Ozone instead. For the price I paid for the Mackie Control youd think they would offer more customization. Im not sure how complicated it would be to implement this, and where the changes would need to be programmed.(in the M.C. firmware or in Live.)

StompyJ

Post by StompyJ » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:16 pm

Blame Live,

In Sonar you can do just this, there is a .ini file you can create so you can remap all your plugin parameters.

Although, Lives implementation is pretty nice, I gotta say :)
no longer needed. this is for you. you know who you are.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:28 pm

i'm diggin' mackie control for my bcr 2000..can control all paramitors of plugs...but it's alittle tricky to find the paramitor you need on say operator which has like 200

so i set pages up on my bcr only for control of operator

but ohhhhh the mackie control C4....some led feedback would be helpful in finding those paramitors.......

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:42 pm

StompyJ wrote:Blame Live,

In Sonar you can do just this, there is a .ini file you can create so you can remap all your plugin parameters.

Although, Lives implementation is pretty nice, I gotta say :)
Yes, a configuration file would be great! '.livecontrolrc' or so in a unixish style with reasonable defaults and full of comments so that there's no need for a manual.

pix

Post by pix » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:38 pm

I want to bump this.

I just got an MCU yesterday and I'm ecstatic with it. What I've been missing...

I got it up and running and already figured out all the pre-asigned functions. My doubt comes regarding the function buttons. Can they be assigned to whatever function you want. What about implementing a "delete" function. Would you think it's doable? What about other key combination features? Like quantize, consolidate, etc...how can they be programmed?

thx!

pix

Post by pix » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:52 pm

bump

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:56 pm

mike holiday wrote:i'm diggin' mackie control for my bcr 2000..can control all paramitors of plugs...but it's alittle tricky to find the paramitor you need on say operator which has like 200

so i set pages up on my bcr only for control of operator

but ohhhhh the mackie control C4....some led feedback would be helpful in finding those paramitors.......

would you please help me with wtf to do to get this bcr2000 to do mackie emu.......I don't want to go through all the things I've tried but I'm in hell over it........