Mbox 2 specs don't look that hot

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarkH

Mbox 2 specs don't look that hot

Post by MarkH » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:03 pm

Personally, I think Digi could have done better. The only real significant addition is Midi I/O. Mbox2 is still USB 1.1 only and they took away the Inserts! Boo! They also took away the Focusrite Pre's.

The Focusrite Saffire is everything the Mbox 2 should have been.

From Digi Site:

-USB type B socket (v. 1.1); cable included (does not support passive USB hubs)

Last edited by MarkH on Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:11 pm

focusrite saffire is twice as nice...ut if that is all...and usb 1.1 is still enough,if you have only such little streams in and out.....why should they use another type of connection??

has it still the focusrite micpreamps?
* LIVE * 1031 + 1092 * LOGIC PRO 7
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828
* TASCAM M-2600 * Sennheiser,AKG,Sure
http://www.myspace.com/robstrobetracks

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:21 pm

RobStrobe wrote:has it still the focusrite micpreamps?
No Focusrite pre-amps anymore. Also, analog outputs are unbalanced.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:25 pm

already has SPDIF

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:30 pm

unbalaced outputs isn´t the problem if u´re just workin in protools but no focusrite micpreamps is a pitty...a real pitty...then u´re forced to buy a buy another add on to get brilliant preamps...

:roll:
* LIVE * 1031 + 1092 * LOGIC PRO 7
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828
* TASCAM M-2600 * Sennheiser,AKG,Sure
http://www.myspace.com/robstrobetracks

atomic

Post by atomic » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:34 pm

that thing looks like a joke. It is designed to lay flat (takes up more space on your desk or your in your cramped dj booth.
They lost the good preamps and the inserts! LOL WTF?!?
And the real kicker is that the outputs are not balanced. Oh man that is just totaly sad. I could not even plug in my powerd monitors into this with out getting ground loop humm.

dam that is just sad. Way to go Digidesign! good stuff.

8O
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:57 pm

RobStrobe wrote:unbalaced outputs isn´t the problem if u´re just workin in protools but no focusrite micpreamps is a pitty...a real pitty...then u´re forced to buy a buy another add on to get brilliant preamps...

:roll:
don't be fooled by the 'low end' focusrite preamps on the original mbox... they are ok... but certainly not 'brilliant'.

the new one looks a bit lame... i'm so glad to be rid of PT and Digidesign. I had nothin but issues with drivers and bursts of whitenoise when i was working with my old mbox.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:22 am

They still have not even given original mbox owners a tiger driver yet
Three months now
Yeah I have not even been able to try to use my mbox since switching to Tiger and dont want to shell out for the new version of pro tools just for the mbox driver.
I have had my mbox about two years now and I dont think Ive had two months of use out of it.
I really regret ever buying anything off Digidesign the way they are going on right now. :cry:
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

raapie

Post by raapie » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:55 am

USB 1.1

what were they thinking?
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:44 am

no tiger driver after hree months???

pffff.. :? they give out this impression of being so high...

maybe there slogan should be, "protools.. our ego is bigger than our name"
hurry up.... mr squigle....

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:56 am

how in the world does a multibillion dollar company downgrade their most popular product in almost every single way?

next thing pro tools turns into garage band.

*edit*
no tiger driver?? i bought an mbox in may and it works fine on computers running tiger and LE 6.9.2

amo

Post by amo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:06 am

donnydonny wrote:how in the world does a multibillion dollar company downgrade their most popular product in almost every single way?

next thing pro tools turns into garage band.

*edit*
no tiger driver?? i bought an mbox in may and it works fine on computers running tiger and LE 6.9.2
I think what our fellow meant is that Digidesign forces you to BUY the new Pro Tools version to get the Tiger driver, they don't provide it to the people who don't want to upgrade.
Thay suck. For many reason. Too bad that soft is so usefull for audio editing.....
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Benoski

Post by Benoski » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:07 am

hopefully the original mbox prices will drop soon :)

neomodo

Post by neomodo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:26 am

No nO No - Their Motto actually goes something like this :

Digidesign ProTools - the company that Avid made suckier than before. Here at Digidesign, we can't program worth a damn - and neither can our parent company. We release products that don't work properly and fall back on our HCL baloney. Digidesign... where our people monitor the User's Forum to make sure all the dissatisfied customers' posts are deleted before other people read them. Digidesign, we make hardware that runs better with other people's DAW software than our own (Such as LIve for instance). Pro Tools, we're sure to to teach you a thing or two about .... caveat emptor...

It took them 6 months after WinXP sp2 was released before they certified PT as compatible. Then it was only because MS was making it mandatory to patch up to SP2 - I have an MBOX - And it has been one big fat dissappointment.
Last edited by neomodo on Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P-4 3.0ghz 1.5 gb ram - ata +sata+usb+firewire
Matrox dual g450 adapter - MBOX - XP Pro SP 2 - Pro Tools LE 6.9 - Reason 3 - Korg Legacy - Guitar Rig - Amplitube - Ozone -Kantos -PSP Collection - Kontact - Waves - Sampletank - Tracks

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:11 pm

amo wrote:
I think what our fellow meant is that Digidesign forces you to BUY the new Pro Tools version to get the Tiger driver, they don't provide it to the people who don't want to upgrade.
Thay suck. For many reason. Too bad that soft is so usefull for audio editing.....
That is such a shitty customer service that it is unbelievable. In this case I would say software piracy would be justified...