(OT)- Hurricane Katrina disaster relief, a big success!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anubis

(OT)- Hurricane Katrina disaster relief, a big success!

Post by Anubis » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:57 am

Whirlstream is a compilation cd of electronic music by artists from all over the world(literally!). EARS International has arranged to let CD Baby donate 100% of the revenues from the sale of our CD directly to the Red Cross. In other words, we don't see the money, it goes straight to the relief agency.

We're just a bunch of indie musicians who are trying to help out in the best way that we can... with our music. I urge you to visit our sites (check sig below) and at least have a listen and, hopefully, help out. You can find us on iTunes too. Just search for the album Whirlstream. It's got 17 solid tracks of outstanding music for a mere $12! For what it's worth, my contribution to the album(track # 10- (dem)Bones) was composed using Live 4. :wink:
Thanks for your time and... generosity.
Last edited by Anubis on Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

MR Coogs

Post by MR Coogs » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:11 am

My Tax dollars already go towards the 10 Billion relief fund, thanks anyway. Why can we only give to groups, but never to other "people"?
Lots of gear. :)

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:18 am

i was watching the news this morning and it said something about people "starving people"! were not allowed to get food from the stock pile at the salvation army cause its "looting" :? whats up with the irony here?

maybe bush could make a deal with the salvo's like, "hi my name is mr bush, i am calling from the white house, i am the president of america, why dont you allow people to get acces to your stock pile of food and i'll pay ya back, huh"??
the security guards that are bashing up the people trying to get to your food would be put to better use and help the people instead?

and how is the sale of a few cd's gonna help, when help is on halt???

the poor will always suffer. :x
hurry up.... mr squigle....

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:03 am

Some Americans can now appreciate how different life in America is compared to impoverished nations in the 3rd world; some of which have been plunged into poverty, civil war and anarchy due to American foreign policy, meddling and deliberate refusal to help nations that don't have natural resources or strategic advantage that the US seeks to exploit in order to feed its wealth and powerlust . You don't see much of that uncomfortable truth on your TV as it doesn't make good news in the Homeland.

Unfortunately is is mainly those who were already poor and oppressed to begin with who are experiencing the aftermath of this terrible event first hand. The fat cats in Washington have shown themselves to care as much about helping the poor citizens of New Orleans as they do about those of Africa, Iraq etc. Perhaps this explains why there is generally no "what do we do after we invade" plan when America goes bombing for oil. They are totally out of touch with the rightwing pious Christian values that they profess as their righteous political mandate.

At least the powerful elite are being forced by the media and electorate to eventually do something about New Orleans, meanwhile 1,000 people continue to perish every minute elsewhere on the planet due to lack of basic humanitarian aid, food, water, medicine and peace. There is no help coming for them.

Respect to you for actually trying to help, but some might see it as piggybacking on a disaster in order to gain publicity for your music. That might not be the most effective way to really help the people there. Try lobbying your local GOP representative instead.

Luque

Post by Luque » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:05 am

anonymouse wrote:Some Americans can now appreciate how different life in America is compared to impoverished nations in the 3rd world; some of which have been plunged into poverty, civil war and anarchy due to American foreign policy, meddling and deliberate refusal to help nations that don't have natural resources or strategic advantage that the US seeks to exploit in order to feed its wealth and powerlust . You don't see much of that uncomfortable truth on your TV as it doesn't make good news in the Homeland.

Unfortunately is is mainly those who were already poor and oppressed to begin with who are experiencing the aftermath of this terrible event first hand. The fat cats in Washington have shown themselves to care as much about helping the poor citizens of New Orleans as they do about those of Africa, Iraq etc. Perhaps this explains why there is generally no "what do we do after we invade" plan when America goes bombing for oil. They are totally out of touch with the rightwing pious Christian values that they profess as their righteous political mandate.

At least the powerful elite are being forced by the media and electorate to eventually do something about New Orleans, meanwhile 1,000 people continue to perish every minute elsewhere on the planet due to lack of basic humanitarian aid, food, water, medicine and peace. There is no help coming for them.

Respect to you for actually trying to help, but some might see it as piggybacking on a disaster in order to gain publicity for your music. That might not be the most effective way to really help the people there. Try lobbying your local GOP representative instead.
I agree with you.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:37 am

anonymouse wrote:Some Americans can now appreciate how different life in America is compared to impoverished nations in the 3rd world; some of which have been plunged into poverty, civil war and anarchy due to American foreign policy, meddling and deliberate refusal to help nations that don't have natural resources or strategic advantage that the US seeks to exploit in order to feed its wealth and powerlust . You don't see much of that uncomfortable truth on your TV as it doesn't make good news in the Homeland.

sad but so true

reset

Post by reset » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:38 pm

I have lost everything, did'nt have room to pack my iMac, but my 101 and 09 came with. My house is still underwater up to the gutter. Nobody even came to help in our Parish (St Berenard) yet. i have no job, no house noe clothes. But I'm alive.

Sometimes I wish I would have stayed in Germany.

Any help is appreciated.

THX,

chris
http://rclique.org
Little Phatty, MonoMachine, SH101/09, Xbase09, Micromodular, Moebius.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:42 pm

anonymouse wrote:Respect to you for actually trying to help, but some might see it as piggybacking on a disaster in order to gain publicity for your music. That might not be the most effective way to really help the people there. Try lobbying your local GOP representative instead.
I really have absolutely no respect for people who do nothing other than talk and try to fuel the fire with political rhetoric instead of actually doing something constructive that will actually help those people in desperate need. What's worse is that assertions like yours are extremely counter-productive by torpedoing the efforts of artists trying to do the right thing.

The artists that are behind this effort hail from countries such as Belgium, New Zealand, Turkey, Italy, Croatia, the US, the Ukraine, the UK and, unlike you, we are not doing this for personal gain. At least we're doing something other than running our mouths off. Don't f*cking try and lecture us about 'effectiveness'.

We actually formed this relief organisation with the express purpose of helping people in desperate need of aid. And I can speak for all of us in saying that we are deeply offended that you're implying that this effort is for self promotion. We're musicians ok. That's what we do ok? And using our music is the best means that we have available to make an impact. I suppose if we were engineers we'd build a f*cking bridge or something. We have set up a method(with CD Baby) whereby the funds get donated directly to the Red Cross. We never touch the money, it couldn't be more transparent.

So please, unless you're willing to put your money where your mouth is, get the f*ck out of our way and take the political sh*t here.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

computo

Post by computo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:38 pm

Frankly, I think you;re all full of shit...BUy a fucking cd, and shut the fuck up. THis dude is trying to do something and all you guys can do is POOPOO him.

WELL FUCK YOU ALL, why dont you buy a cd and shut the fuck up?

shredded

Post by shredded » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:06 pm

Yeah, right, I don't trust anyone. Living in NYC during 9/11 I saw firsthand SOOOOO many MOFO's taking advantage and scamming using the disaster as an excuse or a ploy (strategic mix). Not to sound like an a88hole but there are unimagined levels of sliminess the human mind will lower itself too when in need of some cold hard $$$$$$$. I am very wary of any so-called "relief" fundraisers and "projects".....sorry nothing personal, you guys might be for real, how do I know....

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:38 pm

Turning human suffering into political debate is not one I am up for. Seriously. People are fucking dying and we're trying to defend politics. It's just a fucking CD. Donate or not but no more BS.
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:23 pm

shredded wrote:I am very wary of any so-called "relief" fundraisers and "projects".....sorry nothing personal, you guys might be for real, how do I know....
You can start by trusting your own eyes for one. Let me make things perfectly clear. CD Baby, one of the outlets where you can get our CD, has a special section on their web site from which the wholesale funds(that means all the money not 'after costs' -as is usually the case) will be delivered directly by them -not us- to the Red Cross.
So, go to their site, www.cdbaby.com click on the red cross that says 'for Charity', notice how it says all profits will be donated to the Red Cross three times!, now click on the 'Electronic' link and somewhere in there (like on the third page or something) you'll find our album Whirlstream.
So it doesn't really matter if you think we're 'for real' (as we most certainly are) because we never touch the freakin' money at all! Now if you're going to entertain the notion that an established major music site that has gained the trust of the indie music community is going to blow their reputation... they got great drugs that can cure that kind of paranoia. Just teasing, it's perfectly natural to be suspicious of 'relief' groups. And many of them are sure to spring up at times like these. But that's the beauty of this method, it's totally transparent. What Derek doesn't make crystal clear is that not only have we 'chosen' to donate the money but he will donate it for us, we never get to touch it! Keep in mind that we have our own web site and store where you can purchase the CD from also. But we still point people to this one so that there's no doubt our are intentions are honest. Hope that helps instill some trust in us dude.
miTunes

conny

Post by conny » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:37 pm

I'm buying the CD.
Hope I not a fool.
// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

computo

Post by computo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:01 am

shocking how stupid, and distrusting some of you are.

You should be ashamed.

<snivling>"How do I know that my precious $12 are really going to help people?"
</snivling>

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:08 am

conny wrote:I'm buying the CD.
Hope I not a fool.
// C
Trust me you're not. Although you may very well turn into a dancing fool once you listen to the tracks. :lol:
Thanks for your support.
miTunes