Bands similar to Santana

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gary

Bands similar to Santana

Post by Gary » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:23 am

I'm looking for some other bands to listen to in the style of Santana.
Anyone have ideas?
Thanks
Gary

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:45 am

It's all in the drummer..... Michael Shrieve

Santana himself would always have been a pretty boring hammer-on/off
guitarist if he didn't have a seriously awesome drummer behind him. Every
solo is exactly the same....

-Ben

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:46 am

He's a wanker. Santana

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:51 am

I really like Santana's playing myself, talking old Santana here, I don't know his second coming material.

I think his playing is very raw and honest, not a technician, to be sure. I agree he doesn't have a huge repertoire of chops, but I think when he hits it he can really make the guitar sing.

I completely agree that Shrieve is awesome!

Don't know of any other bands to recommend though.
Image Image

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:58 am

I like Santana (the band) for the awesome percussion and recent collaboration with other musicians.

Although a legend well past his sell-by date, Carlos Santana is a one-trick pony, and I for one would LOVE to be able to filter out his soloing on the last two albums. He has to solo in his one signature style and PRS/Boogie sound, though, because there's nothing else he can do.

His self-indulgent soloing is the guitar equivalent of karaoke.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:40 am

another band that sounds like santana is vanhalen :roll:

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:05 pm

you should try listening to the guitar MASTER jeff beck

some amazing tunes:

nadia
declan
bulgaria

oh my god some of his music really hits me

rikhyray

Re: Bands similar to Santana

Post by rikhyray » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:33 pm

Gary wrote:I'm looking for some other bands to listen to in the style of Santana.
Anyone have ideas?
Thanks
Gary
can you be more specific ? You mean Latin fusion ? The only similar thing would be some of the english songs by Marc Anthony, I guess he tried to cash on Santanas revival. There are plenty of 3rd class mexican imitators, could catch some of these on mexican radios.
The musically most interesting fusion of Latin and Jazz/Funk is "timba", originated in Habana, Cuba by NG La Banda- cuban supergroup followed by Climax, Charanga Habanera, Bamboleo even more traditional Los Van Van.
But this style is very far from Santanas "easy listening", complex arragement, almost madly sophisticated, timba is not sweet and sentimental. Though Santanas rhythm section ( Armanto Peraza, Raul Rekow, Bill Summers and others) is Afro Cuban based, Carlos has more of "latino tristesa" more typical to the continental mentality, Caribenos- Cubans and Puerto Ricans are more on the "fun" side of life, so their music is more lively, might appeal aggresive to some.

Gary

Post by Gary » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:42 pm

Hi rikhyray:
To be more specific:
Santana is "hard to pin down" as far as finding a "same type of band" because of the combination of percussion and his guitar technique. If I was to ask for bands similar to Little Walter someone may say Sonny Boy. I'm looking for the same basic sound as Santana with some variations. You have given me some ideas as to where to look and I thank you for that.
Additonally, thanks to all that contributed.
Gary

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:02 pm

milfbait wrote:He's a wanker. Santana
And you have no idea what you're talking about.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:30 pm

If you like latin flav guitar check Jorge Strunz and ( i am not sure of the name) Adeshir. They never became famous but are/were amazing, make the DiMeola, McLaughlin sound like... OK, just hear some of their stuff, otherwise you wont believe me. They beat that in/famous guitar trio not only with unmatched technique but also musical sense, they dont fight on stage, tiring you with endless music battle. Shame they never got recognition deserved. They recorded with some fine percussionists, and there is lot of fancy rhythms.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:03 pm

Check this band: www.iguanas.de

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:51 pm

not really like Santana, but definitely with some south american (brazil to be exact) flavor is anything by Milton Nascimento--he had some great players on his albums, and guested on some albums by George Duke (Brazillian Love Affair) and others. Dude has some amazing vocals and beautiful songs, I highly recommend "Milton"--great album. Reguardless of your take on Santana's guitar playing, his style/tone is recognizable, and does make his nusic somewhat unique--doesn't seem like anyone can think of anything that close to his type of music, fwiw.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

braj

Post by braj » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:19 am

I always thought Steve Kimock had a nice little Santana influence going on. If you like Santana I figure you'll like Kimock, and he just released a new album (haven't heard it yet though).

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:37 am

Everyone knows thats Santana ripped off Rush.

nuff said. lol
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel