Another PC vs Mac ..With a twist...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:42 am

amo wrote:Wow ! come on guy's ! ya know it is much better !
no matter what, it wins by far !

Stop babbling and face the truth. YOU are twisted.
Oh. This will just keep going till Ableton releases a new feature or america bombs a new country.
Standard Live forum tennis :wink:
You might have forgotten how it was like before the trolls and beta's :lol:

amo

Post by amo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:45 am

hoffman2k wrote:
amo wrote:Wow ! come on guy's ! ya know it is much better !
no matter what, it wins by far !

Stop babbling and face the truth. YOU are twisted.
Oh. This will just keep going till Ableton releases a new feature or america bombs a new country.
Standard Live forum tennis :wink:
You might have forgotten how it was like before the trolls and beta's :lol:
I was not much there :oops: but now I stand strong and am sure everybody has to agree: IT WORKS BEST !

neomodo

Post by neomodo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:56 pm

robin you would be among the 1% that knows what to do with the blasted thing. DOn't get me wrong - I also own a powerbook and a g4 - I think OS is great but I can't stand the gui navigation - it bites big time. Mostly I do my rhing on the commmand line but when using the navigation tools I just want to vomit. So I insstalled a file manager that works more like Exploder -

In this day and age arguments about Mac vs. PC are totally ridiculous - they always were... The same goes for linux, solaris, irix, beos, or whatever - (well ok AIX sux) They each have their virtues and their pitfalls... In my line of work its all about integrating accross platforms and getting the best of all worlds...
P-4 3.0ghz 1.5 gb ram - ata +sata+usb+firewire
Matrox dual g450 adapter - MBOX - XP Pro SP 2 - Pro Tools LE 6.9 - Reason 3 - Korg Legacy - Guitar Rig - Amplitube - Ozone -Kantos -PSP Collection - Kontact - Waves - Sampletank - Tracks

robin

Post by robin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:08 pm

neomodo wrote:robin you would be among the 1% that knows what to do with the blasted thing. DOn't get me wrong - I also own a powerbook and a g4 - I think OS is great but I can't stand the gui navigation - it bites big time. Mostly I do my rhing on the commmand line but when using the navigation tools I just want to vomit. So I insstalled a file manager that works more like Exploder -

In this day and age arguments about Mac vs. PC are totally ridiculous - they always were... The same goes for linux, solaris, irix, beos, or whatever - (well ok AIX sux) They each have their virtues and their pitfalls... In my line of work its all about integrating accross platforms and getting the best of all worlds...
exactly. i agree. as i say i try to stay agnostic even though i have a preference.

when i'm in linux i'm command line all the way but macosx is much better integrated with the guis for management of the system that imo it's better to stick with that.

the computer is just a tool, not something i want to get to deep into. it should just work. i mean i don't go hacking into my vestax mixer, it just works so i can get on with mixing with it.

atomic

Post by atomic » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:17 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Personally i feel,.... Since tiger came out. There is no need to argue.
The only argument a pc user can give is "i have more power".
Whoopty-freaking-doo :lol:
Just for the record I like my mac better for just about evrything i do except for live and that is only due to the "power" issue. And I will say that without the power i cant run my synths so in turn i cant even make my music so for me it is not a "whoopt-freaking-doo" It is a I cant make my music on a mac laptop issue. Pretty simple.
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:03 pm

atomic wrote:Just for the record I like my mac better for just about evrything i do except for live and that is only due to the "power" issue. And I will say that without the power i cant run my synths so in turn i cant even make my music so for me it is not a "whoopt-freaking-doo" It is a I cant make my music on a mac laptop issue. Pretty simple.
OK just to throw fire on the fire.... :twisted:

I made music on a mac plus with one sampler.

I'm transferring to a newer 1.5 ghz powerbook. What this will do for my music is simply allow me to write a bit more efficiently, that's all.

That you own both and are comfortable in both is an investment in time, and it pays off for you. I will probably end up there with you using both mac and PC, as my income is increasing, and I like processor intensive plug ins, [Reactor] but I totally respect people who've took the time to learn windows inside out, and who like me have used their CPU resources wisely, the old machine is an 800mhz. 8O

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:00 pm

hoffman2k wrote:You know what's really funny about these threads?

Pc users always need to point out that they are winning (the argument)
Mac users always act like they have already won.

Personally i feel,.... Since tiger came out. There is no need to argue.

"there is no need to argue"..... sounds like you've already won hoffman :lol:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:05 pm

starving student wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:You know what's really funny about these threads?

Pc users always need to point out that they are winning (the argument)
Mac users always act like they have already won.

Personally i feel,.... Since tiger came out. There is no need to argue.

"there is no need to argue"..... sounds like you've already won hoffman :lol:
Well Duh :lol: :lol:

fsk

Post by fsk » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:13 am

Sorry to break your heart :D

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

I'll admit the white is sexy tho.
Sound Recordist & Designer
http://www.postboxaudio.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:20 am

fsk wrote:Sorry to break your heart :D

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

I'll admit the white is sexy tho.

OK so soon, not only will the OS be better suited for running real time apps like Live, and the laptops have the best stats for hardware failure rates etc., Intel will provide them with chips that eliminate any advantage windows has in the laptop market. This coupled with the fact that Intel execs are bragging that they will be doing things with Apple hardware that surpass the PC versions! 8O ( As a side note, I think Intell is obviously happy to be working with Microsoft's competition, and rubbing a little mud in Bill Gates eyes! )

I think Powerbooks some time next year are going to go from being a choice made in compromise, to being the obvious choice. :wink:

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:23 am

I like pc's.

I recenty built a TREBUCHET and I use it to launch them against brick walls at pretty much point blank range.

I love my powerbook because it is great for calculating the complex trajectories needed to ensure maximum speed/impact ratios.

(ps notice the "blue screen of death" on the monitor)

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

atomic

Post by atomic » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:33 am

I look forward to the new mac laptops that is for sure. I think if they get them out there and make em FAST then they will be the obvious choice for me.
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:15 pm

Just to temper this a bit... Powerbooks will be the obvious choice for laptops and Live, but for home studios, (not professional ones), for workhorse machines to write on and transfer to the powerbook, roll your own PC's are the obvious choice.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:15 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Just to temper this a bit... Powerbooks will be the obvious choice for laptops and Live, but for home studios, (not professional ones), for workhorse machines to write on and transfer to the powerbook, roll your own PC's are the obvious choice.
If ever you'll able to run macosx on non-apple hardware. It's by no means certain that you will yet.

I really hope it is possible though as the combination of hardware you list above is one I'd like to use too.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:43 pm

amen, i've been eyeballing these Athlon 64 x2's

$1249 (shipped) can get you this:

Dual Core Athlon 64 4600
2GB DDR400 Dual Channel Corsair
160GB SATA HD
Asus A8-N Mobo
NEC 16x DVDRW (Dual Layer burning @ 8x)
a case with 430W PSU
and an Asus Geforce 6200 TC PCI-Express Vid Card

I'd buy the components tomorrow if i could run OSX Tiger on it, fully compatible of course. Live wouldn't even use that 2nd core, but i'm sure i'd find a use for it ;)