Separate Reason Refill Sounds

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
inis

Separate Reason Refill Sounds

Post by inis » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:23 pm

Anyone know how to extrapolate all the samples from the reason refills. I want to use all the drum sounds from my refills in live, just cause im starting the like the impulse better than working in reason.

I know they are all just wav files (maybe aiff, cant remember) so id think theres some way to get them out of that damn refill wrapper.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:16 am

Don't think so, I asked the same thing recently, seems th eonly answer is to open them in Reason and export as audio or use SOundflower, Audio Hijack etc etc t record them.

computo

Post by computo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:48 am

export from reason...there is no extractor.

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:17 am

refill format sucks. :evil:

inis

Post by inis » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 am

wow, i guess i really have a good reason to make my "fuck propellerheads" shirt. Dammit that pisses me off. I love reason, but im sick of working on drum stuff there then exporting it to live, then wanting to change something, then exporting again.

And fuck rewire, it just makes my life harder.

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:31 am

Exactly. If they were smart they'd make Reason usable as a vst plugin like Ext and Fruity. Instead they are stuck in their Rewire/Refill/Rex proprietary way of thinking.

technam

Post by technam » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:53 am

Best chance you have is writing to the company or individual who released the Refill. I know some companies release wav or aif versions of thier reFills...

Jay

neomodo

Post by neomodo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 am

i believe you can load a refill into the sampler and dump out files from there - It ain't efficient and if you have a ton of them it could take a long time - There is a document on the Prop site that talks about how to do this - if I remember correctly you load stuff into one sampler and then copy and paste into another sampler each element you want. SHift key and CTL key work so you can dump several at a time.

There is a way to do just about anything...

peace
P-4 3.0ghz 1.5 gb ram - ata +sata+usb+firewire
Matrox dual g450 adapter - MBOX - XP Pro SP 2 - Pro Tools LE 6.9 - Reason 3 - Korg Legacy - Guitar Rig - Amplitube - Ozone -Kantos -PSP Collection - Kontact - Waves - Sampletank - Tracks

krushing

Post by krushing » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:06 am

Rumour has it someone managed to make a ReFill extractor once, but it was quickly shot down by the Propellerhead posse...supposedly it's still somewhere, but I've never managed to find it.

claas

Post by claas » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:10 am

The best solution is to use Reason via Rewire. It does not make a big diffrence as using a plug-in. And Rewire needs not many system resources, most time a plug-in needs more resources than Reason/Rewire.

greetings, claas
iBook G4 1,2 Ghz (256 MB) OSX 10.4.2, Digidesign Mbox, M-Audio Oxygen, Midisport 2x2, Doepfer Pocket Control, Doepfer A100, Novation BassStation Rack, Reason 3.0, Pro Tools LE 6.9

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:47 pm

inis wrote:wow, i guess i really have a good reason to make my "fuck propellerheads" shirt. Dammit that pisses me off. I love reason, but im sick of working on drum stuff there then exporting it to live, then wanting to change something, then exporting again.

And fuck rewire, it just makes my life harder.
Why dont you take easier way- learning how to do it right. Rewire works perfectly, the other stuff too. There is more then one way to do this.
Reason is great rack but if using it for sequenzing is self mortification, specially drums. I have most of my Impulses with RDK sounds, it is easy. But relax first, fucking Propellerhead T shirt wont help much , fucking actual whore might bring better results, if you have free of charge options even better.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:55 pm

I do it the long way, rewire to SX and then set up a midi track that triggers each note for 2 bars controlling the sampler/redrum in reason. Sometimes I'll do the same with multiple velocities if I need then. Then I export the audio to SX, and chop all the individual samples in there. I also set teh sampler in reason to go directly to the rack, and disable all filters to get the best sound quality.

Time comsuming, but if you really like the samples, it's the only way to 'extract' them.

inis

Post by inis » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:40 am

Ive been rewiring for over a year and im just sick of the way it works. Obviously i still rewire with my synths, etc, but the drum stuff is just a pain to me. Im constantly doing little stutters, changes, whatever, and its a bitch to constantly be bringing those in through rewire. I just want to use impulse.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

inis wrote:Ive been rewiring for over a year and im just sick of the way it works. Obviously i still rewire with my synths, etc, but the drum stuff is just a pain to me. Im constantly doing little stutters, changes, whatever, and its a bitch to constantly be bringing those in through rewire. I just want to use impulse.

Rewire the REX and IMpulse devices only - set up paired rewire midi and audio channels per device.
Then sequence the devices via LIVE instead and totally forget about the Reason sequencer altogther Inis.
I never and I mean NEVER use the Reason sequencer for anything what so ever.
It's also quite easy to set up a REDRUM within a Combinator and assign the knobs too pattern changes for the redrum.
You can also use the Mclass devices within the Combi so those drum sound come out crisp and slammin' from the get go.
Control the whole lot via clip envelopes for pattern changes etc.
Then if needs be drag and drop the recorded .wav file from session too arranger view and do cut and paste up work for stutters, rolls ,flams reversed fills etc .
Consolidate the individual file edits and drag them back into session view.
It works a hell of a lot faster and will save you absolutely crap loads of grief in the long run.
It's also easy to set up a standard rewire template for recall in Live for any new recording session you are working on.
Give it a try before giving up as it really is a far more efficient and kick ass way of working.
There is nothing out there as CPU efficient as this.
Bar REASON 3 & Reaktor 5 I now only use two other VST synths and a clutchful of VST effects.
It really does give me eerything I need and then some.
And the Redrum / Rex / NNXT / Maelstrom in particular are indispensible sonic tools for me as is Subtractor but I tend to use it for vety thin glacial digital subtractive sounds that sit really easily in a mix.
I'm almost tempted to only keep my VST effects folder at the moment.
If I didn't love Kubik / Vectrik and KaramFX Modular so much they would have been long gone.
Reason is still the back bone of my bread and butter sounds and stock starting points.
The fact that I still find it indespensible alongside Reaktor is validation enough of it's usefulness within any home studio setup.
Which is more than I can say for all the other VSTi's I have since deleted.
I must confess to getting some great mileage from Rebirth this last week also.
P5 is being sadly ignored at the moment and is used largely for PSYNII and Dimension only which says alot also.
Don't get mad get even :D .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

neomodo

Post by neomodo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:56 am

I stopped using the drum machine stuff in reason pretty much altogether. I use drums on demand -
P-4 3.0ghz 1.5 gb ram - ata +sata+usb+firewire
Matrox dual g450 adapter - MBOX - XP Pro SP 2 - Pro Tools LE 6.9 - Reason 3 - Korg Legacy - Guitar Rig - Amplitube - Ozone -Kantos -PSP Collection - Kontact - Waves - Sampletank - Tracks