Live and Athlon64 X2?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
pteittinen

Live and Athlon64 X2?

Post by pteittinen » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:56 am

I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU to AMD Athlon64 X2, but am wondering whether there's any performance gain to be had from it when working with Live and VST plug-ins.

The question is will Live use X2's both cores to their fullest capabilities? I work with a lot of synth plug-ins that are really hungry for CPU time. I'd hate to see one core of the X2 at 100% and the second one idling...

thanks,
:: petri

dtm

Post by dtm » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:05 am

Yeah, same. I dont have any other interests / hobbies besides music, and I have a full time job... all my money goes on hardware / software so it would be nice to know if the producers of the most 'PRO' live performance software are keeping up with the latest hardware also...
Still not sure about 64 bit OS for PC, would be nice to know if they are working on optomizing 'Live' for use in 64 bit environment.
:)

teraya

Post by teraya » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:26 am

Until they (if they) do release a 64-bit version of Live in Windows, there would be little if any performance increase. Also to keep in mind for anyone who might also be running ProTools and Ableton Live on the same PC, ProTools isn't supported on the 64-bit WinXP yet.

MarkH

Re: Live and Athlon64 X2?

Post by MarkH » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:08 am

Live won't use the second core cpu for audio so there will be no benefit there. Although Live is not specifically written for x64 I would think using an ASIO interface like the Fireface with the x64 driver would have some benefit. I have not tested this though.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:27 pm

You're probably better off getting the AMD Athlon 64 FX-57. This is AMD's fastest single-core CPU.

It should be one of the best performers for Ableton out there on the market.

blank

Post by blank » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:15 pm

I'm on a athlon dualcore and no the is no real direct cpu gain but i have noticed that the global stability of the apps is far more impressive than on single core ( i did try that fx single core too and yes its a good choice ).

I did choose dualcore cause i can run live at 90% cpu without a damn glitch

That was not possible on the equivalent athlon fx ( 75%-80%)

So there is a gain somewhere but i can't explain why.

greets

:)

P.s: Be careful cause some apps do not run well on dualcore, like cubase sx 3 or some big Native Instrument bugged soft ( kontakt2)
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 pm

My guess would be that even though Ableton can't use the two CPU's simultaneously,
the OS things that go on in the background, like disk I/O and whatnot,
can be done on the second CPU while Ableton completely eats one CPU.
So even though your second core is only running at say 10 or 20%, it's still providing valuable service.