MackieControl emulator for BCR2000!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yogz

Post by yogz » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:08 am

hi there,

Finally got the MCE on my machine :)
after a lot of trying to realize that my prob was the the bcr connected in midi(in,out)...
everything get fine until I select, in live, the midi(yoke) virtual ports in the mackiecontrol preferences. it happen a kind of looping feedback of the midi infos between Live&bcr: --> live stuck!
had the same problem while trying the MCmu.
think I m good on the virtual port routings
whith usb, it now works like a charm, but I would really like to stay in midi only

any help would be greatly appreciate
(also had the "timeout" error with BCedit(bcr in midi), loading the files from computer to bcr, fine now because of usb)

cheers

yogi
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;

johnpitcairn

Post by johnpitcairn » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:29 am

cashman wrote:Unfortunately, Huskervu is PC only if I'm not mistaken, so I'm out of that particular loop. I believe it is used to show which pots and buttons do what, right? Does anyone know of a similar program for OSX?
See my signature...
LC Xmu Logic/Mackie Control emulation, LC Xview software LC/MC display,
Logic environments & stuff: http://www.opuslocus.com

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:40 am

i also had no luck getting my bcf working over midi cables. switched back to usb

ciw

Post by ciw » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:33 am

wow. tried this last night. absolutely awesome!

but... does anyone have a spec sheet that says what all the bits in those .syx files mean? i'd like to have a go at making a slightly different version (if I get around to it, or maybe someone else will :D ). basically i find playing with the v-pots very fiddly and think i'd rather not bother with them, and have a simpler setup, e.g.:

top row (group 1) = volume (with lights - if that's not possible then use another row instead)

top row of buttuns = mute (i find it really helpful to have visual feedback regarding which tracks are on/off)

something or other (not the store button) to change bank

everything else = assignable in midi map mode

optionally if possible:
top row group 2: pan
incorporate start/stop clip without taking up more buttons.

so if anyone can help me out with implementing this that would be really cool. but maximum kudos to Namihei for making something most of us thought was completely impossible! :idea:

cashman

Post by cashman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:16 pm

ciw wrote: but maximum kudos to Namihei for making something most of us thought was completely impossible! :idea:
Kudos indeed. Arigato (?)

It is always gratifying and totally in keeping with a philanthropic internet-based spirit, when someone shares their work with others instead of holding it back for some kind of financial gain. Good show!

But I'm still in the 'most' catgeory - having trouble understanding/ applying Mackie Emulation to my BCR2000 via my Mac (G4 Powerbook).
Any Mac users willing to Skype/ PM me and go through it?
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

eXist

Post by eXist » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:29 pm

Can i do something to show level meter in bcr encoder LED ring? When i connect BCR to Reason mixer it works really nice. Can i do this with ableton?
Sorry for my english.

circuitb

BCR MCE up and down ok but not Curcsor left & right?

Post by circuitb » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:04 pm

hello
very nice stuff the MCE.....
but i ve discover that some function available in the Mackie control
are not implemented.....
then my question
how to develop this way to control live ?creating combos for one precise action?
is it possible to customize the Mackie implementation?for ex i want to play the clip i ve record but transposed +12 ?

is it a live issue or a MCE issue
if any one know
?
thanks

cashman

Post by cashman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:25 pm

johnpitcairn wrote:
cashman wrote:Unfortunately, Huskervu is PC only if I'm not mistaken, so I'm out of that particular loop. I believe it is used to show which pots and buttons do what, right? Does anyone know of a similar program for OSX?
See my signature...
Thanks for the offer, but I can't shell out for anything non essential at the moment.

If I had the slightest idea what the hell this thread is all about and what I really was missing out on, I might make purchase of such software essential, but I don't, so I won't.

:wink:
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

cashman

Post by cashman » Mon May 01, 2006 1:44 am

Ok, I've spent a good while re-reading this thread and trying everything again (to the best of my abilities).
  • Using Sysex Librarian I can load the MCE3Live.syx file into my unwanted preset (15).

However, I can't save it to the preset. Perhaps because the store key (button 53?) is disabled.
    I've read that this can be overcome by using BCEdit.

BCEdit loads, but can't seem to load sysex to the BCR with it.

My BCR2000 has v1.10 Firmware.
    AFAIK the USB MIDI driver 1.1.1.1 is only for Windows.
  • What exactly do you gain by using the Mackie Emulation mode that makes it such an improvement over mapping things yourself?
  • Is there a default setup/ template that should be used with this i.e. number of tracks, effects, send etc?
To be honest, I'm not that bothered about getting the MCE to work anymore. I've just spent a lot of time with no outcome, perhaps I just want to know how to solve the particular problem and get to where so many others seem to be.

Alternatively I could have used the time practicing Live itself!
:| :| :| :evil:
Nearly a DJ
---

husker

Post by husker » Mon May 01, 2006 2:47 am

The Live manual has a whole section on what the Mackie Control will give you...the emulation stuff gives you the same functionality...

cashman

from one not Tech...

Post by cashman » Mon May 01, 2006 6:57 pm

husker wrote:The Live manual has a whole section on what the Mackie Control will give you...the emulation stuff gives you the same functionality...
Thanks, but to be honest, I can't be bothered to even look for that part in the manual. All this has taken me away from actually using the BCR & Live and working on the possibilites they allow when combined. Pehaps when I have too much spare time I'll be into 'taking the toy apart to see how it works' rather than playing with it.
Sorry if my post sounds a little rude, it's just frustrating when you can't get something that others have, and seem to have so easily.

I forgot what I'm using Live for - making music.

Later,
c
Nearly a DJ
---

Matrigs

Post by Matrigs » Mon May 01, 2006 7:58 pm

hi !

i wanted to ask - what program do you use to edit these sysex files ? i wanted to exchange the "scrub" option woth control. i did it with a freeware hex editor but it doesn't seem to work....

husker

Post by husker » Mon May 01, 2006 9:03 pm

You don't need to edit the sysex directly...that's just a dump from the BCR. You can edit straight on the BCR or use the Behringer editor (make sure you have the EXACT version they specificy on their site).

Matrigs

Post by Matrigs » Mon May 01, 2006 9:18 pm

husker: i was never able to use that crappy bcedit thing!!

i just have to somehow remove the bank select from the store button so that i can finally store it. (can someone tell me what these bank buttons actually are for?) i also wanted to speed up the pots. i found the XVI32 program in this topic and i hope this will be it !

or maybe someone can tell me another way to load the sysex into the bcr ? i have tried every solution but nothing worked...

tonetripper

Post by tonetripper » Mon May 01, 2006 10:39 pm

Why when I try those links on the Macbook Pro do I get Yahoo Japan photo and all the dialogue in Japanese?