TB-303

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:57 am

sweetjesus wrote:
adhmzaiusz wrote:
rikhyray wrote: free Rebirth
OMG!!
i cant believe this...thats awesome!!!FREE! where have i been?
YEAH EXCEPT... i heard Props made a 512MB cd download, because they couldnt be fucked removing the cd protection scheme...so yeah instead of a 16MB app which it should be, you have to have an obscure CD lock still????##@
It is original ISO that can be easily reduced to 100MB. Come on it is free, I have it on my internet partition (just to have something musical) with the Daemon so no need for CD though on my music partition I dont want any demons or daemons. The bad side, it is a teaser that may make you spent..what you say? 700 guids ? Hmmm, wont be having high position on my future shopping list, got to get first the U87, Neve, better monitors,dozen basstraps, second laptop, second display, .... but sometime later, maybe....

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:17 am

a reply to the audiorealism vs. the real tb-303

I posted a long review on the forum over at www.audiorealism.se here's the url
http://www.audiorealism.se/phpBB2/viewt ... ght=honest

in short, for leads and such it's amazing! but for minimal type music with 303 basslines, the real thing just sounded much 'larger' if I can use that word properly here...

others who also have both can do the same comparison to see what I'm talking about...

either way, it's an amazing accomplishment with software! I give it an A-
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:20 am

Hahaha, I just wanted t tell you that I just bought 20 cheeseburgers from the local McDonalds.ö.. I´ve eaten four, and I´m - already - quite full.....

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:28 am

am wrote:i've had one for years... it's an absolute bitch to program because of stuck buttons... and the sync in drops out all the time.... a pain in the arse really.

can't quite bring myself to sell it... but also can't quite justify spending money to give it the TLC it needs.

-m
bet you have a broken solder joint on the DIN SYNC jack....open it up and look carefully at the circuit board, the jack is mounted directly to it and repeated plugging and unplugging over the years can cause one or more of the solder joints become intermittent. same thing happens with the 9V power jack on the TB303/TR-606. resolder the connnection and all should be well.

dunno if you can clean the buttons, mine never gave me any problems. i never use it anymore but i can't get rid of it either, got it for $50 way back when.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:31 am

blakbeltjonez wrote:
am wrote:i've had one for years... it's an absolute bitch to program because of stuck buttons... and the sync in drops out all the time.... a pain in the arse really.

can't quite bring myself to sell it... but also can't quite justify spending money to give it the TLC it needs.

-m
bet you have a broken solder joint on the DIN SYNC jack....open it up and look carefully at the circuit board, the jack is mounted directly to it and repeated plugging and unplugging over the years can cause one or more of the solder joints become intermittent. same thing happens with the 9V power jack on the TB303/TR-606. resolder the connnection and all should be well.

dunno if you can clean the buttons, mine never gave me any problems. i never use it anymore but i can't get rid of it either, got it for $50 way back when.
hey thanks,

i'll check into that.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:06 am

future retro revolution

about 3 times better
more accent decay times
sequencer
16dsp effects

i've used the 303, and its awesome, but the FRR is UNBELIEVABLE
so i said to the man, no i don't want none of your damn apples

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:45 am

Picasso wrote:future retro revolution

about 3 times better
more accent decay times
sequencer
16dsp effects

i've used the 303, and its awesome, but the FRR is UNBELIEVABLE
I just checked it, shit mp3 on shitty notebook speakers. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT , amazing - the TONE, very interesting, must hear it, try it. I am rarely impressed by any new product, specially electronic, but this is really something good.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:44 pm

I have tb303 (was free), and definitely think it's way overrated. In the mix, you can't tell the difference between it and many of the emulators and software versions. On it's own you can, but not with other instruments playing (IMVHO).

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:25 pm

I just bought the audiorealism plug in based on this thread. Thanks for the tip!

However, it seems like the ultimate for acid house and techno, that future retro HW unit and the elektron machinedrum are really the best options (or maybe the Jomox analog box).

That'll allow you to buy new gear and inherit those analogue characteristics (and punchy-ness that everyone seems to crave).

Either way, the realism plug in is going to be a good addition to the rebirth refill and having reason rewired into live. sweet!

:)

rob.

orage

Post by orage » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:10 pm

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but there is a great online documentary about the history of the TB-303...

http://www.nkhstudio.com/pages/popup_bassline.html
Paul Peterson
Sound Director
The Old Globe
San Diego, California

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:30 am

robtronik wrote:I just bought the audiorealism plug in based on this thread. Thanks for the tip!

However, it seems like the ultimate for acid house and techno, that future retro HW unit and the elektron machinedrum are really the best options (or maybe the Jomox analog box).

That'll allow you to buy new gear and inherit those analogue characteristics (and punchy-ness that everyone seems to crave).

Either way, the realism plug in is going to be a good addition to the rebirth refill and having reason rewired into live. sweet!

:)

rob.
Have a good look in the private forum. You might crap your pants.
I know i almost did.

Also. If you want more BASS. You can increase the bass response of ABL.
Check the ABL forum for more details. :wink:

Post by 8 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:53 am

ImageImageImage

Homemade tb-303, made for under $50. Given to me in Germany by 2 dudes that claimed it was the first prototype made by Roland. It has a midi in. If there is any truth to the legend of it, than Roland was using MIDI on the tb-303 during the prototype stages instead of voltage sync. I sketched the circuits and found them all available at circuit places, the cost of them all being less the $50.

You can see more and hear a track I made with the box at this link:

http://www.eightbit.com/303red/a/

husker

Post by husker » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:02 am

Well given that 'prototype' was made post '91 (you can tell by the date on the chips)...and the TB-303 came out in '82 i'm glad you didn't say 'I paid these 2 dudes in Germany a lot of money for the TB-303 prototype' :-)

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:31 am

I've jammed on quite a few 303's and its fun and all... BUT.. I prefer the AU Bassline running through a Sherman Filterbank when it comes to getting tracks written :twisted:

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:33 am

8 wrote:ImageImageImage

Homemade tb-303, made for under $50. Given to me in Germany by 2 dudes that claimed it was the first prototype made by Roland. It has a midi in. If there is any truth to the legend of it, than Roland was using MIDI on the tb-303 during the prototype stages instead of voltage sync. I sketched the circuits and found them all available at circuit places, the cost of them all being less the $50.

You can see more and hear a track I made with the box at this link:

http://www.eightbit.com/303red/a/

that is not a Japanese tb-303 prototype. it is a 303 clone prototype maybe but not a prototype of the original...