Just reinstalled windoze and......

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Just reinstalled windoze and......

Post by forge » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:01 am

my PC would have to be at least 20% faster

I installed Win SP2, NortonAV, Live 5+Operator, Waves platinum, Antares Filter and autotune, melodyne, microtonic and an audio editor (goldwave) and I'm sorted. My Drive isn't reading DVDs any more so I cant install NI Komplete, but apart from loadin up old tracks I'm not even sure I miss it at all.

Since L3 I've been getting the feeling alot of my other stuff was on the way out but now with L5 and Oper8r I think that day may have come.

The Revrend

Post by The Revrend » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:26 pm

I'm curious why you bothered to run Norton AV (something I have seen cause serious performance hits, and if you're not installing potentially unsafe software **warez** cough, or accessing teh interweb with it, it is completely unnecessary.

Re the CDR/DVD Drive. I know with mine, that it slides out a bit and looses connections, if I press the door in firmly it will actually slide in about 3/4 of a mm and after I reboot my CDR/DVD Drive is back. Just a thought.

Rev
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400 Toledo Core // 2 GB of Corsair XMS // WD Raptor "X" 1500 // Creative X-Fi Professional // EVGA GeForce 7900GT 256MB // G5 Laser Mouse // Viewsonic VX922 LCD Monitor // Coolermaster Ammo 533 Case

forge

Post by forge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:54 am

I do go on the net with it and I'm a believer you should be able to - I know alot of people swear blind you should keep your daw off but I worked in a commercial studio for a few years where their machines were and they rarely had problems and I havent really noticed a performance hit with NAV - but you can always go off line and disable it....

I still do work from them which totally relies on sending files via broadband and it would be a HUGE pain in the arse to do it without a connection and i dont really see any reason not to.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:56 am

Oi forge, reformat your machine (only way to truely eradicate/piss off Norton products) and once you get your system all patched up and happy, get a program called Deepfreeze.

You PC will run even better then and will never ever corrupt again.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:08 am

deep freeze eh? where might one find that??

I actually did something which is a big no no and reinstalled onto the same partition into a new folder (windows 2) mainly because I didnt want to lose the data (it was an emergency meaure) and so far it's running really well!

I also have the added bonus of still being able to run old apps tha run without reinstalling them